Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New clutter-1.0 (1.14.0-1) breaks GDM and Gnome-shell (3.6.3)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: New clutter-1.0 (1.14.0-1) breaks GDM and Gnome-shell (3.6.3)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry33 View Post
    Yes I think it is better that people switch to Gnome 3.8 (enabling Gnome3 PPA).
    Saucy will follow anyway, sooner or later.
    Do you have any idea when 3.8 might enter the main repos? I did a fresh install of yesterday's daily of regular Ubuntu, and added Gnome Shell, and sure enough, it still doesn't work. I applied the gnome3 ppa, and it killed Unity. So I purged the ppa and downgraded libclutter and friends, so now I have both Unity and GS working well.

I wonder what killed Unity, exactly, from the newer Gnome Shell install. Maybe they're still getting it sorted before 3.8 is in the main repos...

Beans
    Distro

I'm currently running GNOME Shell 3.8 from the GNOME 3 PPA (stable, raring) on my saucy install. It works fine, however I've noticed yet another undesirable change to Nautilus. When copying or moving files, if you hover the mouse over the destination folder, Nautilus automatically opens that folder. This is a real pain, because you lose the overview of the parent folder. Also, if the destination folder contains a lot of images or videos, Nautilus churns away displaying the previews of them. I understand that some people might find this feature useful, but it's yet another instance of the GNOME devs introducing a feature without providing any (obvious) way to opt out.

I also don't like the way that they've made the "systray" (or whatever the politically correct term for it is) even harder to access. If I'm not mistaken, previously it would appear immediately if you moved the mouse to the bottom right corner. Now it seems you have to hover the mouse there for what seems like an eternity, before it appears. For things that are accessed surprisingly frequently, this small delay has a big effect on my workflow.

I use Cinnamon on raring at work, and I'm probably going to switch to it at home too, as I simply find it more productive. Unfortunately though, the Cinnamon debs in the PPA don't work in conjunction with the GNOME 3.8 PPA (something to do with dbus JavaScript bindings).

TBH, my installs are probably starting to deviate so much from stock Ubuntu installs, that I'd probably be better off just running Mint and be done with it. Nemo file manager has some very smart features - including several features that Nautilus saw fit to remove. I've been using Ubuntu as my primary desktop OS since 2008, but lately I have become increasingly disillusioned with it.
    Linux user since Slackware 3.4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    Do you have any idea when 3.8 might enter the main repos? I did a fresh install of yesterday's daily of regular Ubuntu, and added Gnome Shell, and sure enough, it still doesn't work. I applied the gnome3 ppa, and it killed Unity. So I purged the ppa and downgraded libclutter and friends, so now I have both Unity and GS working well.

I wonder what killed Unity, exactly, from the newer Gnome Shell install. Maybe they're still getting it sorted before 3.8 is in the main repos...
    I don't think anyone knows that ATM.
    There are certain regressions compared to 3.6. 3.8 is just not yet ready.
    The other problem is that it seems to be incompatible with Ubuntu's Unity. Certain parts of Gnome (like gdm) cannot be used with Unity.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Harry33 View Post
    I don't think anyone knows that ATM.
    There are certain regressions compared to 3.6. 3.8 is just not yet ready.
    The other problem is that it seems to be incompatible with Ubuntu's Unity. Certain parts of Gnome (like gdm) cannot be used with Unity.
    That's kind of what I thought. Hard to believe that it's not even 3 weeks since Raring was released!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123