Thread: What programming language best suits Linux?

Moose is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

What programming language best suits Linux?

I am planning on making applications for Ubuntu (or any other Linux distribution for that matter) and I want to know, exactly which coding language is best for Linux? Like for example, with Windoze the most popular coding languages would probably be C/C++ and Java. What would be the best language/s for Linux?

Also, what would be the best compiler?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What programming language best suits Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu seems to be moving away from the rest of the linux world towarlds it's new mobile platform: http://developer.ubuntu.com/get-started/gomobile/
    They released a mobile-sdk what is basically qt5 whith some custom qml components and I'm quite sure they gonna embrace this to be the base for their future desktop development as well. If you wanna know more about qt5 check this link: http://qt-project.org/qt5 Actually it seems quite potent with it's cross platform compatibility and stuff but I think I'm gonna wait for their official qml destop components before I jump in, don't wanna get locked in a single platform again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Your choice of programming language depends entirely on what you want to do with it.

If you want to write programs for Ubuntu Mobile, then QML is currently the best way.

If you want to write programs for desktop Ubuntu, and you want to write them quickly, the best language is probably Python, using the Quickly framework. I use Python for small programs and it's very quick to write in Python. Most Ubuntu-specific programs are written in Python.

If you want to write programs for desktop Ubuntu that depend on speed of execution or very low-level functions, C and C++ are available. You can also help with kernel development and Gnome/KDE development using those tools.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Moose is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll check out those links and decide what I want to do when I do so. Thanks again. c: