Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grub2 not working on Raid5

Beans

Grub2 not working on Raid5

Ever since Ubuntu started probably using Grub2, I cant intsall Ubuntu on my Desktop. If I run the Ubuntu 11.04 or 11.10 or 12.04 or 12.10 or 13.04 install CD(or usb) and click install after the config screens, I get the error Executing 'grub-install /dev/sda' failed. This is a fatal error, and it says "Failed to install the bootloader". I have raid5, and I dont wanna stop using Raid. Im desprate its not working

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Grub2 not working on Raid5

I do not really know RAID, but have an example of grub reinstall. You have to change to your device. Note that your mount VOLUME_0p1 but install grub to VOLUME_0.
    Not sure if your RAID5 is different.

if RAID
    For RAID reinstall from live-CD/DVD/USB
    sudo apt-get install mdadm
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2022679
    "fakeRaid" with nVidia
    sudo mount /dev/mapper/isw_cdjacjeebj_VOLUME_0p1 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/mapper/isw_cdjacjeebj_VOLUME_0

RAID is not common on Desktops. So it was always in the server and alternative installer versions. But they now have eliminated the alternative version and are planning on adding the RAID install capability to the Desktop version, but have not yet.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

1. If you are using fakeraid (bios raid) the standard live cd usually doesn't install grub2 successfully. You need to add it later yourself from live mode.

2. If you are using mdadm software raid, this can still happen if your disks have gpt table but you didn't make a small partition with no filesystem and with the bios_grub flag. Grub2 needs this to install on gpt disks.

From live mode, can you post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    If you first need to activate/aasemble the array, do it so that the parted command shows the array too.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    RAID is not common on Desktops. So it was always in the server and alternative installer versions. But they now have eliminated the alternative version and are planning on adding the RAID install capability to the Desktop version, but have not yet.
    No Unbuntu Desktop supported raid long time ago. Raid5 was working pretty well on Ubuntu 10.10.

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    1. If you are using fakeraid (bios raid) the standard live cd usually doesn't install grub2 successfully. You need to add it later yourself from live mode.

2. If you are using mdadm software raid, this can still happen if your disks have gpt table but you didn't make a small partition with no filesystem and with the bios_grub flag. Grub2 needs this to install on gpt disks.

From live mode, can you post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    If you first need to activate/aasemble the array, do it so that the parted command shows the array too.
    Im not using fake raid. When should I use the "sudo parted -l". can you please guide me step by step, im not really good at this

Beans
    Distro

OK, if you are using mdadm software raid, use the ubuntu cd to boot into live mode, add the mdadm package (because it's not included), assemble the arrays and then run that command. So, open terminal and execute one by one:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mdadm
    sudo mdadm --assemble --scan
    sudo parted -l
    Note: When installing mdadm it might ask you to install postfix too (the mail transport agent). If a window shows up to configure postfix, simply select No Configuration. You won't use it anyway.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Sorry Fake raid im guessing nforce630i controller. fake raid right?... now what?

Beans
    Distro

As oldfred posted you can use thos commands. But if you need the exact command to the letter, boot into live mode in terminal and post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo dmraid -ay
    sudo parted -l
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

okay what am I doing wrong?

I installed ubuntu 13.04. while installing grub fatal error showed up so I pressed ok. Then it said fail to install bootloader, so I clicked countinue without bootloader. Then I booted from a usb, clicked try ubuntu, opened teminal:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo dmraid -ay
    ERROR: ddf1: seeking device "/dev/dm-2" to 18446744073709421056
    ERROR: hpt37x: seeking device "/dev/dm-2" to 4608
    ERROR: hpt45x: seeking device "/dev/dm-2" to 18446744073709547008
    ERROR: isw: seeking device "/dev/dm-2" to 18446744073708469760
    ERROR: sil: seeking device "/dev/dm-2" to 18446744073709289984
    RAID set "nvidia_fcabdedh" already active
    RAID set "nvidia_fcabdedh1" already active
    RAID set "nvidia_fcabdedh5" already active
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/mapper/nvidia_fcabdedh /mnt
    mount: /dev/mapper/nvidia_fcabdedh already mounted or /mnt busy
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/mapper/nvidia_fcabdedh
    Path `/mnt/boot/grub' is not readable by GRUB on boot. Installation is impossible. Aborting.
    everything seemed messed up!

Beans

okay so I mounted also nvidia_fcabdedh1 or nvidia_fcabdedh5 dont remember and then installed grub on nvidia_fcabdedh and it worked!
    Grub worked, but it wont get into ubuntu it only shows the startup screen.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Which of these is your install? or do you have a separate /boot as you have to also mount it.
    Your mount command left off the 1 or 5, so then the install could not find the grub folder to use for the reinstall of grub.

Your RAID is a bit different than the example in post2, but logic should still be same. From post #2
    Note that your mount VOLUME_0p1 but install grub to VOLUME_0.

Just as in standard installs you mount a partition, example was p1, yours would be nvidia_fcabdedh1 or ....h5 and install to the root or nvidia_fcabdedh.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast