I have an Emachine 525 and, I am still trying, to duel partition Ubuntu 12.04 with Windows 7. I was able to get Ubuntu to install and it boots up but I came into a problem with the display. The brightness doesn't want to seem to work when I run Ubuntu unless, as suggested through this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1900024 , to wait until I see the Ubuntu purple boot up screen and immediately turn down, and then up my brightness. However, when I get that to work my touchpad doesn't seem to work after. However if I don't turn up and down my brightness, I can use my touchpad but the brightness will be on the lowest setting.

So, thinking I would be able to fix the brightness and then fix the issue with the touchpad, one after the other, I coded the above "solution" (with an almost entirely pitch black screen, mind you) and updated grub and it still doesn't want to work, neither the brightness or the touchpad. And now I don't know what to do. Is there any other ideas anyone has?