Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8: Microsoft's New Coke moment

Beans

Re: Windows 8: Microsoft's New Coke moment

I'm not sure what your question is

Are you saying there is less Linux user now than before windows 8? You would think it would be the other way around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Every customer I have installed Windows 8 for has come right back in within a few weeks wanting 7 or even xp instead.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra Diaboli View Post
    I think right now we are at an intermediate point were no one is buying new hardware.

I presume we may see Linux's market share increase in a year as people are forced to buy new machines, and as support for games becomes stronger.
    I think you're right, but it's going to be a problem for Linux. When people come back to buy hardware, they're going to be buying a lot more hybrid Win8 tablets, and nobody is going to be installing Linux on those. It's not going to be long before those hybrids, like surface, are going to be the norm. It's the best of both worlds. They're still pretty darned expensive, though.

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    Every customer I have installed Windows 8 for has come right back in within a few weeks wanting 7 or even xp instead.
    You should have installed a 3rd party Start menu that bypasses Metro. If you do that, Win8 really is a superior OS to Win7 and definitely XP.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Jonor View Post
    The pie chart prompts me to think where it likely is an accurate reflection of usage - top three floors at Redmond head office ?
    I don't see what's wrong with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...ms#Web_clients

Linux shows green arrows after previously being red arrows for the last several months, we haven't gained anything.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-mon...303-201303-bar

Linux is 'other'... gg
    // Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    You should have installed a 3rd party Start menu that bypasses Metro. If you do that, Win8 really is a superior OS to Win7 and definitely XP.
    +1

But windows 8.1 will take care of that when it's released. I hope they don't charge people for it.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I think you're right, but it's going to be a problem for Linux. When people come back to buy hardware, they're going to be buying a lot more hybrid Win8 tablets, and nobody is going to be installing Linux on those. It's not going to be long before those hybrids, like surface, are going to be the norm. It's the best of both worlds. They're still pretty darned expensive, though.
    The sale of surface has not been stellar. I don't know what do you base your prediction on.

Win8 really is a superior OS to Win7 and definitely XP.
    As in more locked down and more DRM?

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post

But windows 8.1 will take care of that when it's released. I hope they don't charge people for it.
    I sure hope they do. It is good whenever MS drives people away, not necessarily to Linux, but it is still good in breaking its monopoly.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    The sale of surface has not been stellar. I don't know what do you base your prediction on.

In my opinion, I don't think Microsoft ever expected huge surface sales. I view it as something similar to Google's Nexus lineup. A solid piece of hardware to set the bar for OEMs.
    That's what she said.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ikt View Post
    I don't see what's wrong with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...ms#Web_clients

Linux shows green arrows after previously being red arrows for the last several months, we haven't gained anything.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-mon...303-201303-bar

Linux is 'other'... gg
    I'd accept the W3Counter figures from your wikipedia link giving OS usage are roughly Windows 75%, Mac 17%, Android 6%, Other (Linux, Blackberry etc.) 2%.
    Those are very different figs to the pie chart don't you think ?
    Steven Vaughan-Nichols seems to have removed the Android OS and other mobile OS representation without saying so.
    What else non-Windows has he omitted without mention i wonder ?
    Last edited by Jonor; May 9th, 2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Typoze and omissions :)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Not to be contrary but I usually install classic start off ninite.com. They still hate it.

I personally think it's more stable, but the customers sure seem to disagree.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast