Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Windows 8: Microsoft's New Coke moment

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Windows 8: Microsoft's New Coke moment

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    +1

But windows 8.1 will take care of that when it's released. I hope they don't charge people for it.
    I still have my doubts that they'll add a start menu back. And you're right. They had better not charge for it. I doubt if it will add more than a good service pack would.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    The sale of surface has not been stellar. I don't know what do you base your prediction on.
    I'll try to explain my predictions. It's an obvious trend that people are starting to buy more tablets and less desktops and laptops. You can see that plainly in sales numbers. But what I've run into is that everyone wants tablets, and they're getting good use out of them, but they're finding out that they're not able to completely replace traditional PCs. So my cousin's solution was to buy a new Surface hybrid with an Intel version of Win8 and a keyboard built into the case. So what she ended up with is a convertible tablet that she can install apps and any Windows software on and use it as either a functional tablet or a laptop. It's a pretty awesome concept to have a tablet that can run a fully functional version of Quickbooks or whatever software you want to throw on it.

The only problem is that they are still priced really high. That's why they're not selling well, mixed with the whole problem that people still don't understand them and they're not as readily available. By the next generation, we'll start to see traditional laptops begin to phase out as these fully functional Windows hybrids will start to take over. There will always be some market for traditional laptops because sometimes people will need bigger screens and other things that a hybrid tablet will never practically be able to provide. But the evolution is going to start heading toward these Windows hybrids because prices will drop and people will see that they can pay once to get the best of both worlds. But not until the prices drop, and they will.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    As in more locked down and more DRM?
    Other than the whole UEFI thing, I haven't seen that Windows 8 is any more locked down than Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    Not to be contrary but I usually install classic start off ninite.com. They still hate it.

I personally think it's more stable, but the customers sure seem to disagree.
    But that doesn't even make sense. It has to be psychological based on what they have heard. With a 3rd party Start menu installed that bypasses Metro, Win8 is almost identical to Win7, except for stability and some positive changes to things like Windows Explorer. To the average user, they probably wouldn't even notice any difference at all. It has to be psychological.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

"I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself”
    said Winston Churchill

so relax and enjoy linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

But that doesn't even make sense. It has to be psychological based on what they have heard. With a 3rd party Start menu installed that bypasses Metro, Win8 is almost identical to Win7, except for stability and some positive changes to things like Windows Explorer. To the average user, they probably wouldn't even notice any difference at all. It has to be psychological.
    I'm not arguing the validity of your statement that 8 is superior to 7 and XP, I agree. It most likely IS psychological. Perhaps they are 'Vista-shy'!
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    I'm not arguing the validity of your statement that 8 is superior to 7 and XP, I agree. It most likely IS psychological. Perhaps they are 'Vista-shy'!
    It's all of those darned Ubuntu lovers tainting everyone's opinions.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    It's all of those darned Ubuntu lovers tainting everyone's opinions.
    Not I, McFly.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Hidden!

Think the only true measure is to time slice

Then exlude what is not Available as an OS

Hence NEW sales as PRODUCT across the board + OS supply only = Total OS's

Then as a measure , take the date of realease of Windows 8 to Present

That would be true measure of success or failure ,

To compare Windows and say 8 is a Failure is Pure Lac , must have nothing better to do.

Typical Modern day Journalist , Half a brain and no Sence

or some one said "Two sandwiches short of a picnic"

Have Fun

Alex
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    The BBC have a good summary of the past day's media reactions to the hints that MS will be revamping Windows 8.
    Pretty much nailed it.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Pretty much nailed it.
    BLUE , BLUE , BLUE ,BLUE MM! Remember that one

Windows Blue: How it could reinvent Windows (or sink Windows 8)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20174...windows-8.html
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This thread sparked a thought, I wondered if actual usage would show a different picture, so I thought I would make my own pie chart. I had a look at the 2 million visitors to my website this year to find out what OS they were using. The sample is large enough to be robust although the visitors do tend to be ABC1's. This may have some influence into OS choice, so it could be debatable as to how representative the sample is to the total population, also it does also include mobile usage.

Linux is only coming in at 1.1% (20,168 visitors), maybe that's because people are using multiple devices and not using Linux for web browsing. I use a mixture of Android on tablet and Ubuntu on Laptop for browsing the web, depends on if I need to type a lot.

If I had more data I think it would be interesting to find out how many households have a least one Linux machine.

Anyway I need to go back to work and do some real analysis now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234