Thread: What form of VMware should I use for my new server?

Beans

What form of VMware should I use for my new server?

Hi all,

I'm going to make the leap from Windows 2008 to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Server as I did some recent testing and there really is a dramatic improvement in web server response times when hosting on a Linux server.
    This server will be a single guest o/s dedicated to hosting OTRS and SugarCRM CE for 10-20 agents/users (plus 5 OTRS customers at any one time). Not an huge demand but still enough to run a little slugish under our current older windows server.

The new production server will be:

Dell Poweredge R300
    Quad Core Xeon L5410 (2.33GHZ)
    8GB RAM

My question is: Which Ubuntu o/s should I install on the server to run VMware on?I imagined I would use Workstation 9 running on Ubuntu desktop (12.04) and the guest to be Ubuntu server (12.04).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What form of VMware should I use for my new server?

Why do you need to install VMware?

Can't you just run Ubuntu Server natively?
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Why do you need to install VMware?

Can't you just run Ubuntu Server natively?
    I had at first considered that but of course there's many advantages of running it within vmware and I'm hoping it should be possible to still get a decent performance from the web server

Beans
    Distro

If you are only going to use the server to host VM's then I wouldn't use a host OS at all. Running a host OS brings with it a whole range of performance and security issues.

Instead I would probably go for ESXi which is a bare-metal hypervisor as this would mean that your VM(s) would run at full native speed, there is no host OS overhead.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    If you are only going to use the server to host VM's then I wouldn't use a host OS at all. Running a host OS brings with it a whole range of performance and security issues.

Instead I would probably go for ESXi which is a bare-metal hypervisor as this would mean that your VM(s) would run at full native speed, there is no host OS overhead.
    Thanks for your feedback and sorry that I've only now had chance to respond. I take your point about esxi. Having done some other research it seems like the only rational approach to running vmware on a server and keeping the unnecessary resource drains out of the picture. For the guest server I'll install Ubuntu server 12.04LTS.

I'm now trying to decide if the free esxi will suffice for a product environment or I need to look at a paid version. Will running vSphere 5.1 Hypervisor be a limitation on performance of my guest? I do not require more than 8GB, however wouldn't the 1 processor really limit the server's performance?

I would like to be able to remote manage the server, take snapshots, make backups. If I've understood correctly none of this is possible with the free version?

Beans
    Distro

Where did you read about the CPU limitation? AFAIK the only limitation of using the free vSphere hypervisor is a RAM limit of 32GB for the host machine, however, even if this is the case your machine only has one socket so this limitation wouldn't apply.

The only way to manage a guest OS using VMware is remotely using the vSphere client, you don't have any local access to the guest OS.

If you want another solution to take a look at then check out Proxmox VE, it's an open source virtualisation solution that has many of the features that you would have to pay for if you were using vSphere.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Smile Re: What form of VMware should I use for my new server?

In the end I installed esxi hypervisor and Ubuntu Server as suggested by you. So far I'm extremely pleased with the performance and relative ease it was to install. I was wrong, it has actually got all the basic facilities I needed. 1 processor was actually no performance limit of course because the server has only 1 processor (but quad core which I was able to select). All the remote control facilities were there too. I really think this is the perfect solution for small/medium sized businesses. Thank you so much for the advice.

Beans
    Distro

Glad you got it working, that's the setup I use on my server at home.
    Cheesemill