Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making the switch from windows.

Hybrid View

Beans

Making the switch from windows.

Good morning,

I decided this morning that I wanted to switch my laptop over from Windows 7 to Ubuntu. The biggest thing that has been holding me back is the fact I play PC games on my laptop as it is and noticed that 75% of the game titles and programs I use are not supported by Linux. I recently started an IT internship and find myself using Linux on the daily so I just wanted to upgrade my daily driver to run the platform I work with the most. With that said my question being is there any way that I can get those programs I use most on my Windows platform to run on Ubuntu? Those programs being Photoshop, Ventrilo, and a handful of PC games that I play, Starcraft 2, Neverwinter... I would love to just make a full switch to Ubuntu but I'm not willing to do that unless I know for sure I'm able to use the programs I use most. Otherwise I may have to look into getting another laptop. Thanks for the advice ahead of time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Making the switch from windows.

Going out on a limb here without knowing more specifics about your machine. I don't think a 'cold turkey' solution is best for you!

I suggest a dual boot - ie install Ubuntu Along Side of Win 7. This will provide you the flexibility of fully testing all the games and software you require.

If your PC has the capability to boot USB - than installing Ubuntu to a USB hard drive is an option which will provide you quite a bit of flexibility
    Last edited by pfeiffep; May 6th, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It's possible to run some Windows applications on Linux using Wine. You can check if your applications will work or not by checking the Wine application database. Anything with a gold or platinum rating should be fine, if your applications have any other rating then don't bother as they won't work.

For applications that don't work in Wine you could also consider setting up a Windows VM. This has the advantage over Wine in that all of your applications will run, but you do need a Windows license to install your VM. Also 3D support in a VM is poor, you can't really use a VM for gaming.

I believe that Neverwinter has a native Linux client available. Also there are more and more games being released natively for Linux now that the Steam platform is available.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This might not be helpful depending on who you use Ventrilo with, but I've found that Mumble (check Ubuntu Software Centre or their website) is by far the best VoIP client for gaming. Very little delay, crisp sound, and cross-platform. Ventrilo's website has shown the Linux client as "in development" for as long as I can remember.

Neverwinter Nights does have a Linux port available. However, I believe the install process is a bit messy. Starcraft II apparently works flawlessly under WINE.

Beans

Thanks for the information I did a little more digging and I think that I'm going to install as soon as I get home :]

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Dual Boot!

Use Windows to free up some space on your hard drive, install Ubuntu into that space. If you were to mention the brand and model of your laptop, you might get some specific pointers.

Beans

I would also say Dual-Boot.

Beans

you can both have windows and linux installed in your laptop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

photoshop - use windows. Linux has opensource alternative that is very powerful called GIMP (has windows version as well). it comes close to Photoshop (especially with plugins installed), but is maybe not as powerful or easy.

some older versions of Photoshop work well in Wine though.

if what you mostly use are windows programmes and you are not ready to explore the alternatives then stay with Windows. you also won't be able to use Mac. since not all windows porgrammes have Mac version.

i used (and am using) mostly opensource programmes on windows. firefox for web browsing, thunderbird for email (been with them since they started), libre office for documents (though i also have MS office installed but that is about to change), IRC and IM clients, GIMP, Inkscape, wget, notepad++, bluefish, various system tools and many many more.

and the only thing keeping me there are games (and online banking). for everything else linux is just fine. so we use it on two mashcines and when i have time 3rd one will move to linux as well (in dual boot form). the main windows maschine will probably also get a dual boot.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

[QUOTE=mastablasta;12637011] . . . . and the only thing keeping me there are games (and online banking). . . .

Why do you need Windows for online banking? For several years I've done that with Linux alone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast