Thread: Can not ugrade error messages

Beans

Can not ugrade error messages

Hi, I recently signed up and this is my first post so here goes.
    I am still new to Ubuntu and definitely not command line literate. I am trying to upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 to Lubuntu 13.04 in an effort to speed up an old laptop and I am hitting a snag. I want to go right ahead and install the OS on the HDD and boot straight to it (i.e. without a CD or USB) and I've used Unetbootin to install the ISO to the HDD and rebooted.
    On the GRUB menu, I have the option to select 'Unetbootin', 'Try Lubuntu without installing' and 'Install Lubuntu' (as well as the previous OS options). However, when I select one of the Unetbootin or Lubuntu options I get the following:

error: hd15 cannot get C/H/S values
    error: you need to load the kernel first

I've seen lots of techie articles and posts about similar error messages but don't understand the responses. Some talk about partitions and adjusting BIOS settings which I fear may be beyond me. Can anyone explain in simple terms what I need to do to get past this and boot straight into Lubuntu?
    Many thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can not ugrade error messages

Changed title to be more descriptive.

Beans

n/m - misread the original post
    Last edited by steeldriver; May 6th, 2013 at 04:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

While there are LTS releases in Ubuntu there are none (as of yet) in Lubuntu. Your best bet is probably to to do a fresh (new) install of Lubuntu 13.04 because to get from where you are to where you want to be may involve some work. I believe to upgrade from 12.04 you first must upgrade to 12.10 and then 13.04. Once there you have to change your desktop to LXDE. A fresh install eliminates all that.
    Rex
    ASUS EeePC 1000h with Lubuntu 14.04
    Dell Inspiron 1000 with Bodhi Linux 2.4