Thread: Installinf STEAM seems to have created big problems...

Beans

Installinf STEAM seems to have created big problems...

Hi guys.

I installed Lubuntu on my wife's ACER Aspire One late last year, and the netbook was running very well until this morning.

The other day my son discovered that a particular game, Team Fortress 2, was available for Linux, and so he asked me to install it on the Aspire One. To do this, I first had to download STEAM. This seemed to take ages. When I then tried to download the game, I discovered that it was massive (12 Gb) and that there was nowhere near enough space on the hard disk. So I quit the installation.

This morning when my wife turned on the computer, nothing seemed to work, and everything was blocked. She left it running, and when I came home I saw that several windows were open with Task Manager, and that the mouse and touchpad were not responding. Since then I have managed to reboot the computer, but now there is no internet connection at all, and the wireless settings seem to have disappeared.

I suspect that the installation of STEAM is responsible for all of these problems, and so I would like to uninstall it, but have received the following message:
    Software Index is broken. It is impossible to install or remove andy software. Please use the package manager "Synaptic" or run "sudo apt-get-install-f" in a terminal to finx this issue at first.

I have tried running the command but am receive the message:
    command not found.

Could someone possibly give me advice on what to do?

Many thanks,

Florio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Installinf STEAM seems to have created big problems...

try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    Note the spaces & hyphens.

Good luck

Beans

Re: Installing STEAM seems to have created big problems...

Many thanks, verymadpip. Your reply has been a big help. I have now managed (I think) to remove STEAM via the Synaptic package manager, there is just a question mark icon left on the desktop. My real worry at this stage regards the internet connection. I cannot really understand why this has vanished and cannot for the life of me remember how to set it up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Installinf STEAM seems to have created big problems...

Hi there, glad to help. I expect you can just delete the icon, or it may vanish after a restart.

I'm not much good with networking TBH, but...do you still have a network manager icon in the panel? It could be as simple as enabling networking & wireless from the dropdown menu. (They'll need to have check marks/ticks or whatever next to them - enable both).
    Of course it could be something much more nightmarish

In my experience all the *buntus have "just worked" regarding networking so I'm hoping it's something straightforward.