Thread: minix system calls

Beans

minix system calls

Hello, maybe the wrong place to ask, but let's try..
    I want to edit a system call that already exists in minix, let's say the chown
    system call.. Do you know which files i have to edit? and which of them need compiling?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: minix system calls

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_call:

In computing, a system call is how a program requests a service from an operating system's kernel.
    You'll need to find where the minix kernel implements system calls, or alternatively find a way to modify that part of the kernel dynamically (see the next post) I would suggest that changing something that fundamental is a bad idea though...
    Last edited by MG&TL; May 6th, 2013 at 12:47 PM.

Not necessarily. In Linux, it's possible to edit the dispatch table and redirect existing syscalls to your own functions. Here's a forum post I read a few weeks ago on the subject. Interesting stuff. I wouldn't have thought it possible without at least recompiling the kernel, but that just shows how much I know.

Of course, that says nothing about Minix. I don't even know if Minix uses such a table, but if it does, that would be a good place to start. Either way, though, there's a good chance you will break something, so don't do this on a system you care about, etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by trent.josephsen View Post
    Not necessarily. In Linux, it's possible to edit the dispatch table and redirect existing syscalls to your own functions.
    That's awesome! I stand corrected (although still no idea about Minix).