Thread: Recommend a news reader!

Beans

Recommend a news reader!

Hello, I've not used a news reader before and think it would be extremely convenient if there was a desktop app for Linux (not web app) that I could use to read and get updated with news in one place. The features that I would like are: I do not want to add everything manually. It is preferable if it would have a browsable list of news sites/feeds/forums so I could easily add my favourite sites and if possible discover more stuff. A very pretty interface, not the most important thing but important nonetheless. And speedy if possible. That's about it. Anyone know of an app that could fit my needs?

Edit: I'm on Gnome 3, if that matters.

Beans

Re: Recommend a news reader!

I use thunderbird RSS plugins

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Liferea is fine and in the repos. RSSOwl, a multi-platform Java app, is good, as well. I don't believe it's in the repos.

Liferea can use Google Reader as a source of feeds (until Reader vanishes, of course). So can RSSOwl.

Since everyone has different interests, you will be on your own to add new sources.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Liferea is fine and in the repos. RSSOwl, a multi-platform Java app, is good, as well. I don't believe it's in the repos.

Liferea can use Google Reader as a source of feeds (until Reader vanishes, of course). So can RSSOwl.

Since everyone has different interests, you will be on your own to add new sources.
    +1
    RSSOwl is easily the most powerful feed reader on Linux. Not only does it sync with Google reader, but you can open them in tabs, view them in RSSOwl's embedded browser (or the external browser of your choice), sort them by any category you wish, and even create your own "feeds" with saved search filters.
    It has a ton of different view modes you can use, depending on your preferences, and share articles to one of any number of services. The toolbar is also completely customizable.

Beans

I gave those two apps a preliminary look by reviews and images. But it's sad, I don't like too much the vertical pane interfaces on those, too much scrolling I think for a widescreen. I saw some RSS readers for other platforms like Mac and there seem to be some nice ones with horizontal pane interfaces like Geary has. Is there any like that? If not, I'll use those apps. How does Quite-RSS for Linux compare to those apps? The PPA doesn't work for Raring so I can't download until I find a working link.
    I know about different interests but a categorical list of some top sites would be nice. Hate the pain of adding and finding links manually,....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by DisappearingOak View Post
    ... The PPA doesn't work for Raring so I can't download until I find a working link...
    Here it is:
    http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownl...oad-96630.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DisappearingOak View Post
    I don't like too much the vertical pane interfaces on those, too much scrolling I think for a widescreen.
    For me, it's an advantage: A list of feeds in a vertical left panel, a list of headlines in a wider panel on the top right, and the text of items I click on in the bottom right panel. I only see the actual web page when I choose to, which is not often. This is a fast way to move through a lot of items. (I use a 24-inch screen but I never run anything full screen.)

I know about different interests but a categorical list of some top sites would be nice. Hate the pain of adding and finding links manually,....
    I'm not aware of any, although a Google or two will likely turn up some lists along the lines of "Ten Best RSS Feeds for....".

Lists of RSS feeds are stored in OPML files. OPML is an XML format. An RSS reader worth its salt can import (or export) an OPML file.

Look for browser extensions that provide a visual indicator of a site's RSS feed. You *may* be able to automagically add that feed to your reader, but that's something I've never seen work consistently in Linux.

RSS has been around for a very long time, for at least several years before Google Reader appeared on the scene. Reader's dominance caused many people to confuse it's approach with the entirety of RSS. For a relatively small number of feeds, flipping through encapsulated web pages is fine. But, for any significant number of feeds, it becomes a burden.

BTW, on KDE, Akregator is the primary RSS reader. Worth looking at on that platform.

Beans

I can highly recommend Liferea as a news aggregator.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Recommend a news reader!

HeyFeed is a useful one. Have you tried it? http://www.heyfeed.com