Thread: "What to install after installing Lubuntu 13.04 Raring"

Beans

"What to install after installing Lubuntu 13.04 Raring"

I did a Google search on what to install after installing 13.04 Raring, and pretty much all of the results assume I'm working with regular Ubuntu and Unity. This is a good example.

Obviously, the Unity-centric suggestions don't apply, but other than that, what repositories and what-nots are universal across Ubuntu-dom and which should not be installed in Lubuntu? Can/should I install things like medibuntu and restricted-extras? What other things would you recommend either for or against? Or do I even need any of them at all? This is for a netbook with 1 gb of RAM, 2 if I can replace my bad stick.

Thanks,
    raen.

Beans

Re: "What to install after installing Lubuntu 13.04 Raring"

Isn't your question a bit broad? Wouldn't what you want be different from what someone else wants? Anyway, I'd stay away from medibuntu and just go with restricted-extras at first.
    What should not be installed in Lubuntu is really an interesting aspect and something that should be given a lot of thought, IMO. Again, it depends on one's needs but I've often seen people recommending software without warning that a ton of dependencies may be pulled in.
    It's quite common to see people suggest an app that will pull in KDE dependencies.
    Then you have the suggestion to use lxmed. That one requires a functional Java.
    Then you have stuff that may get you a fully functional zeitgeist. Lubuntu 13.04 is zeitgeist-frei and that is one reason for Lubuntu's lightness, IMO.
    Last edited by vasa1; May 6th, 2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: fixed last sentence

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

+1.
    I see all kinds of suggestions, but as vasa 1 has implied and what is really obvious, Lubuntu is an OS that was built in an attempt to make most of its components able to operate without a ton of dependencies. That being said, you can always install most if not all applications that will work in Ununtu. For instance, I have been using Thunderbird since 0.9 and I am very comfortable with it so I continue to use it. A KDE application will will work so long as you install an obscene number of dependencies. Just remember that Lubuntu was created to run on older machines and lower power machines. We found out that it also runs like lightning on newer high power ones, especially if you don't clutter it up with a great deal of other stuff. Now back to your question: Install what you want or what you think you need. Remember that this may also affect performance. If you specifically name the applications that you want to add then it will be easier for members to advise you based on their experience with Lubuntu. Good luck.
    Rex
    Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth
    Arizona LoCo |Arizona Team Wiki|Arizona Launchpad

Beans

The OP's question seems like "Where should I drive in my new car?"
    You go where you want to go, of course.

The various "Best 10 things you should install" articles are mere hype to attract eyeballs (and corresponding advertising revenue).

Trying to predict all your uses and install everything up-front can be a waste of time. Ubuntu and flavors are designed to make it very easy for users to install components as needed.
    So just use it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Isn't your question a bit broad? Wouldn't what you want be different from what someone else wants? Anyway, I'd stay away from medibuntu and just go with restricted-extras at first.
    What should not be installed in Lubuntu is really an interesting aspect and something that should be given a lot of thought, IMO. Again, it depends on one's needs but I've often seen people recommending software without warning that a ton of dependencies may be pulled in.
    It's quite common to see people suggest an app that will pull in KDE dependencies.
    Then you have the suggestion to use lxmed. That one requires a functional Java.
    Then you have stuff that may get you a fully functional zeitgeist. Lubuntu 13.04 is zeitgeist-frei and that is one reason for Lubuntu's lightness, IMO.
    I guess my question is a little broad, sorry. I only just made the switch from regular to L and I guess it's a combination of it's been a while since I've had to tweak a brand-new system and I got used to looking at the suggestions for regular, going ahead and installing whatever looked interesting, and never having a reason to regret my decision.

I was in particular thinking of things like medibuntu and restricted-extras, because they come highly recommended for new installations of regular. What's the reason I should stay away from medibuntu on L?

Thanks,
    raen.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raen View Post
    I was in particular thinking of things like medibuntu and restricted-extras, because they come highly recommended for new installations of regular. What's the reason I should stay away from medibuntu on L?
    See http://askubuntu.com/questions/85397...even-desirable

It's just that there's no point in installing something if you don't really need it.

Edit: also look at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...3#post12637673
    Last edited by vasa1; May 7th, 2013 at 06:09 PM.