Thread: List of Included Bible Apps?

Beans

List of Included Bible Apps?

What are all the included Bible apps that come with Ubuntu CE? Just curious as to the actual list. I'm looking through my list of installed apps, but it'd be great to have them pointed out to me.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: List of Included Bible Apps?

Quote Originally Posted by parkernathan View Post
    What are all the included Bible apps that come with Ubuntu CE?
    Built in:
    • Xiphos;
    • BibleTime;
    • Wide Margin;

Probably Builtin:
    • Diatheke;
    • KJV Bible;

I put "probably built-in" because I don't remember installing them, and they are installed here. OTOH, I also pulled in the Linux4Christians distro content here, and they may have come with that.

Do you want to call these Bible apps?:
    • Verse;
    • Orthodox Calendar;
    • Lyricue;
    • OpenLP;

Easy for users to install, once WINE is correctly installed and configured:
    • There is thread ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=404042 ) that includes a script for installing e-Sword;
    • Adding "ppa:shane2peru/bibleanalyzer-stable" to your software repository gives you BibleAnalyzer. (Yes, I do point people to it, despite my abhorrence of its licence.);
    • http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1923376 describes installing TheWord;

FWIW, the e-Sword Installation Script from mid-2008 would correctly configure WINE for most of the low-end Biblical Software that was available for Windows back then. (Low end being the sub US$300 price point. The current [2012] version does not include that functionality.)

jonathon
    And now I bend the knee of my heart,
    Imploring you for your kindness.

Beans

Thanks for the list! That helps. How hard is it to install the content from Linux4Christians into Ubuntu CE?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by parkernathan View Post
    . How hard is it to install the content from Linux4Christians into Ubuntu CE?
    Non-trivial.

I don't recommend trying it. Misleading error messages are displayed, when things break.
    • The major virtue of installing UCE is that it includes DansGuardian.
    • The major virtue of installing L4C is that includes several Christian orientated games, and music.

Ideally, both UCE and L4C would have repos setup that third parties could access, and install on their different *buntu respin.

###

I wiped out my system, installed Ubuntu Studio, and then installed the easy-to-install parts of UCE and L4C. The major omissions are Dansguardian, and the L4C flash games.

jonathon
    And now I bend the knee of my heart,
    Imploring you for your kindness.