Thread: UFW blocks them all

Beans
    Hidden!

Talking UFW blocks them all

I just installed ufw on the server. It works so good webpages don't load, ssh is very slow and I can't login to mail, other than that it works really good. I think the online tutorial to install it is leaving out most of the steps needed to actually make it a useable firewall. I think there is way more to configure then just allowing ports. Could someone tell me what else I need to configure and some examples would help?

Here are the ports that are allowed.
    21/tcp
    25/tcp
    53/tcp
    53/udp
    80/tcp
    110/tcp
    143/tcp
    443/tcp
    xxxx/ssh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: UFW blocks them all

When you are saying they are open are you saying that because you added these ports or have you verified them?
    to verify they are set sudo iptables -L

have you flushed the tables and disabled ufw?

to flush sudo ufw --force reset

to disable sudo ufw disable

Have you thought about working with IPtables by itself and leaving out UFW? Basic IPtables is very simple to set up for basic open close. Of course you can get very complex with them too... UFW is just an easy way to manage IPtables.. I personally would just dig right in. Here is a tutorial that you can use. Very simple and not complicated as long as you know how to use the terminal. http://forums.iso-world.com/index.ph...c/18-iptables/ overall the end result will be the same.

Last edited by brent1975; May 6th, 2013 at 06:16 AM.