Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recently Bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 and am wondering if 13.10 can be installed on it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Recently Bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 and am wondering if 13.10 can be installed on it?

Before I ask my question: I must Apoligize for my recent Bad Behavior for trying to tell you guys what you can an can and can not post, I now realize that it's Cariboo907's job to due that (and the rest of the Moderator's here as well) and it is NOT my job to be Bossing you guys around about 13.04 discussions and that if I fell a Post is out of place I should instead click Report Post as I am NOT a Forum Admin or a Moderator. I am sorry for my bad behavior and hope that you guys will forgive me for my OutBurst.

I recently ordered a Samsung Galaxy S4 and have a few questions about trying to test 13.10 on it (if it is possible at all) and also if it requires me to Root my Android Jelly Bean 4.2 Phone (which is something I am NOT about to do because 1. It would Void my new Phone's Warranty, and 2. It is now Illegal in the U.S.A. to do that) and 2. If it would void my Warranty anyways (even if it does NOT require you to Root the Phone)? Thanks in Advance.
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans

Re: Recently Bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 and am wondering if 13.10 can be installed on

The answer is no your device is (currently) not supported.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Recently Bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 and am wondering if 13.10 can be installed on

Thank you for Replying to what may seem like a Silly Question BUT It has been a while since I owned an Android Cell Phone (I have been buying IPhone's for the Past couple of years and this is my first Android Cell Phone since some time in 2005 or earlier, BUT the Galaxy S4 looked like a too good of an Android Phone to pass up compared to the 5S IPhone that is coming from Apple this year so thank you for answering what was probably a stupid question to begin with.

Beans
    Distro

1. Is true. But you can easily gain it back with some form of restoring. Whether that is through Samsung's ODIN, or using your own stock backup made in recovery.
    2. Rooting is not illegal in the US. Only carrier unlocking through unofficial means. (But it's not like SWAT is going to come kicking down your door at night anyway)

Beans

It's not stupid question the support for your device is AFAIK just not there yet. It might be in the future.

You expressed some concerns and they would/will be best addressed when you will be able to buy Ubuntu phone. Let's hope this will happen in 2013/2014.

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: Recently Bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 and am wondering if 13.10 can be installed on

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    It's not stupid question the support for your device is AFAIK just not there yet. It might be in the future.

You expressed some concerns and they would/will be best addressed when you will be able to buy Ubuntu phone. Let's hope this will happen in 2013/2014.
    So there will be no way to get this Software on an Existing Android Cell Phone is what you are telling me right? I did Re-Read the Ubuntu Cell Phones Home Page and did NOT realize that you have to be an OEM or Operator to request the Software right now. All I had previously noticed is the AD about Ubuntu on Android and did NOT read the fine print.
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans

So there will be no way to get this Software on an Existing Android Cell Phone is what you are telling me right?
    No i didn't say that it might be in the future but we are not there yet. BUT for the users that don't want to mess with default phone OS we do need Ubuntu phones on the market. Currently you can test tablet images for example this is possible but if you don't want to mess with default tablet OS you will have to wait until some Ubuntu tablets are on the market.

Beans

BUT don't worry too much if you currently don't have compatible tablet you will be able to test a lot of technology/software used on Ubuntu Touch right from your desktop in this development cycle. This will gradually prepare you for future devices you will use...

PCs, tablets, smart phones... running Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Ubuntu Touch has already been ported to other phones in the Samsung Galaxy range, it's probably just a matter of time before it is ported to the S4.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Device...om_cdimage.u.c
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

As I understand it Ubuntu Touch images are now being built upon Raring but not for the desktop. A few of us installed MIR and the Ubuntu Touch core apps on the desktop while we were testing Raring. I have not yet tried this in Saucy but in one sense it is true that if we want to test MIR and the core apps we should run it on Raring and not Saucy. But there is nothing stopping us from experimenting.

I think that we should distinguish between Canonical and its aims for the future of Ubuntu and Community development. Ubuntu is open source and any community developer can take the source code and port it to any device that they want. Indeed Canonical encourages this to happen. And if we have one of those devices we can share in testing the port to that device.

Canonical, as far as I can tell, has other aims. 1) to assist OEMs in bringing Ubuntu mobile devices to market; 2) Assist developers in providing apps for Ubuntu mobile devices; 3) Producing a User Interface (called the Ubuntu platform) that scales across 4 types of device (PC, Phone, Tablet, TV).

As I see it, testing is useful. So, even if someone is not a developer or an OEM, it may be helpful if someone installed this stuff on their devices to give feed-back. We are doing this right now by running Saucy on our desktops. Stick with the development branch for a year and we will see a convergent user interface on the desktop.

QA.ubuntu has test cases for Ubuntu Touch on tablets. And there are daily builds built upon Saucy. But there is a limited device range.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install

Regards and good testing
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast