Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got Mir working in Saucy?

Beans

Re: Anyone got Mir working in Saucy?

Well, Canonical is running a business... they have the right to do things their way and that may mean breaking some perceived obligations to the wayland developers, after all. Business is business. I think the worry stems mostly from the fact that wayland would lose proprietary driver support and fall off, but I think it will probably work out seeing people saying that the proprietary drivers will be egl-based (whatever that is) and will probably work for both wayland and mir. No use with the hate posts now. I think Canonical will still 'support' Wayland in their official distro line-up, if they intend to keep KDE and GNOME, which I think they will. In the end, it's free software, and competition is healthy and drives innovation, or so they say, or used to say a year ago when I started using Linux.

As far as I understand, Mir is a modern type of X made from scratch, it acts as a mediator which draws stuff for it's clients/compositors i.e., it's still a display server, and Wayland is a new pardigm, it is not a server, it's a protocol that enables clients/compositors to become their own server and draw stuff themselves, interfacing directly with the display hardware. What benefits one has over the other, I do not know but they both claim to provide faster graphics with less latency than X which is apparently bloated. in the end, I think people will use whatever works out the best..
    Last edited by DisappearingOak; May 9th, 2013 at 05:06 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    Quote Originally Posted by anca-emanuel View Post
    It's interesting that the above link shows small screen devices as the target for mir's trial run. I've noticed a great deal of support taking place in the RC Kernels change logs and also in the upstream links for small screen touch devices. It possible that they have it working in that genre so desktop support shouldn't be that far away. I think the problem may be that small screen support is directed at specific devices whereas desktop has to support an endless array of architecture.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by rrnbtter View Post
    Greetings,

It's interesting that the above link shows small screen devices as the target for mir's trial run. I've noticed a great deal of support taking place in the RC Kernels change logs and also in the upstream links for small screen touch devices. It possible that they have it working in that genre so desktop support shouldn't be that far away. I think the problem may be that small screen support is directed at specific devices whereas desktop has to support an endless array of architecture.

That's a fair analogy. So far, nothing in saucy except for 1 file as of yesterday.

Chanath is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

I tried to look at Mir in Raring, but not succeeded.
    What I gathered at Mir wiki was this;
    Running Mir natively

You can also run Mir natively. To do so, log in to VT1 (Ctrl+Alt+F1) after you are already logged in to X. If you do so before then you will not be assigned adequate credentials to access the graphics hardware and will get strange errors.
    VT switching away from Mir will only work if Mir is run as root. In this case we need to change the permissions to the Mir socket so that clients can connect:

$ sudo mir_demo_server
    <Ctrl+Alt+F2> - log in to VT 2
    $ sudo chmod 777 /tmp/mir_socket
    $ some-mir-client
    <Ctrl+Alt+F1> - switch back to Mir. Watch your friends be amazed!
    What is actually some-mir-client?
    There is no command "some."
    Or should the last line be something else?

The link; http://unity.ubuntu.com/mir/using_mir_on_pc.html
    Last edited by Chanath; May 12th, 2013 at 12:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Chanath is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Tried Mir with saucy too, but it gets stuck. There is no way to minimize a window. Firefox can be used but cannot make it smaller or delete it. I used /usr/share/applications to run Firefox. Then it got stuck. The information was taken from http://unity.ubuntu.com/mir/using_mir_on_pc.html I used the method with X. There was no menu, or panel, or icons. In the 2nd method, I only got a large arrow, nothing else. There was no command called some-mir-client. Does anyone know what that is?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@Chanath

Did you see this on that page you linked to?
    Getting some example client applications

If you installed Mir using the packages from the mir-team staging PPA, you can get some example programs by installing the mir-demos package:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install mir-demos
    If you are building from source you can find client applications in the bin/ subdirectory of the build directory.
    Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Last edited by anca-emanuel; May 15th, 2013 at 12:23 PM.

Beans

It looks like we will get something to play with in this dev cycle:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTM3MzY

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    It looks like we will get something to play with in this dev cycle:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTM3MzY

Ok .. great ... but what happened to the 'mir' executable and other files that we signed up for in raring (and now report being broken in saucy)? I guess I just get annoyed at the fact that I have a benign ppa sitting on some of my installs after going through the work and the risk to experiment with that server. I know .... I can remove the ppa .. etc... but my point is that (and it may be too soon to assume this) it appears that 'mir' is going the way of Wayland ... so all this sleep time is downtime for me.

Ok .. rant over.

thanks..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast