Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Software Center Crashes On Start [Ubuntu Gnome 3.8]

Beans

Software Center Crashes On Start [Ubuntu Gnome 3.8]

I'm running ubuntu gnome (*cough remix) with the 3.8 ppa.

I've been running this setup for a while, and have been using gdebi and synaptic, so I'm not TOO concerned, but I was under the impression that software-center should be up and running. Mine never has and still is not.

Here is the output:

2013-05-04 17:57:31,746 - softwarecenter.ui.gtk3.app - INFO - setting up proxy 'None'
    2013-05-04 17:57:33,379 - softwarecenter.region - WARNING - failed to use geoclue: 'org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Geoclue.Master was not provided by any .service files'
    2013-05-04 17:57:33,871 - softwarecenter.backend.reviews - WARNING - Could not get usefulness from server, no username in config file
    2013-05-04 17:57:33,886 - softwarecenter.plugin - INFO - activating plugin '<module 'webapps_activation' from '/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/plugins/webapps_activation.pyc'>'
    2013-05-04 17:57:33,919 - softwarecenter.fixme - WARNING - logs to the root logger: '('/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/importer.py', 51, 'find_module')'
    2013-05-04 17:57:33,919 - root - ERROR - Could not find any typelib for LaunchpadIntegration
    2013-05-04 17:57:33,991 - softwarecenter.db.pkginfo_impl.aptcache - INFO - aptcache.open()

(software-center:6663): Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'software-center' received an X Window System error.
    This probably reflects a bug in the program.
    The error was 'BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)'.
    (Details: serial 1850 error_code 9 request_code 62 minor_code 0)
    (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
    To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
    variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
    Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

While the screen is up temporarily, the ad banner doesn't load, and some of the menu text looks very distorted.

I have attempted reinstalling, purging, clearing my ppa's (I don't know why), and clearing software-center's cache folder. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Let me know what other info you need!

Beans

Re: Software Center Crashes On Start [Ubuntu Gnome 3.8]

I have the exact problem. Menu text distorted. Frequently crashes. And window size is also small. in Gnome 3.8. But the ad banner loads, and can install stuff but often crashes/disappears.

Beans

After today's upgrades libgtk and some stuff got installed, and the menu text works now. Not sure if the crashes are solved.. will have to test. I'm purging software center to see if the window size issue goes away.

Beans

After that update, the text menu distortion is gone, but it is still crashing.

Upon reinstall after purging, I get the text:

WARNING:softwarecenter.db.update:The file: '/usr/share/app-install/desktop/sonic-visualiser-sonicvisualiser.desktop' could not be read correctly. The application associated with this file will not be included in the software catalog. Please consider raising a bug report for this issue with the maintainer of that application.

This is already a bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

3.8 is pretty much use at your own risk at the moment . I tried it twice and am back on 3.6. When I ran the ppa purge my last attempt on 5-11 many packages were not down graded and after a couple of hours in synaptic I decided that a re-installation would have been done already. That is always a last resort, but I feel better about a clean installation than not repairing the system properly .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Have we come to any solution other than doing a clean installation?

I upgraded Ubuntu GNOME 13.04 to GNOME 3.8. Is there an easy way to reverse it?
    - Chuck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by charlescarroll1 View Post
    Have we come to any solution other than doing a clean installation?

I upgraded Ubuntu GNOME 13.04 to GNOME 3.8. Is there an easy way to reverse it?
    You can use the awesome ppa-purge utility:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
    ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eode View Post
    You can use the awesome ppa-purge utility:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
    ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
    I initially did a clean install of Ubuntu GNOME and upgraded to GNOME 3.8 after. The only desktop environment I have is GNOME. If I run this command, will it simply revert back to the previous version of GNOME? I just want to be sure I don't break my system.
    - Chuck

Beans

ppa-purge should remove the gnome 3 ppa without issue. Then you will be back on stock ubuntu 13.04 with gnome shell 3.6.

I don't see why people would go back to gnome shell 3.6 just because of the software center problem. You can use synaptic, aptitude, etc to review and install packages. Gnome shell 3.8 scales windows in the overview much better than gnome shell 3.6 so I think that is a worthwhile to keep (although I personally think the messaging menu changes in 3.8 are a step backwards).

Beans

I've been installing applications via terminal. I actually don't mind using terminal to install apps (it's fun using terminal), but I may end up wanting to switch to a more stable version of GNOME if I still get some bugs with 3.8. I absolutely love the changes in 3.8 which is why I probably won't switch back.

Thanks for answering my question, BTW!
    - Chuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast