Thread: Skype not showing up in the top bar

Beans

Skype not showing up in the top bar

I have ubuntu 13.04. I just installed the skype .deb from skype.com that's for ubuntu 12.04, since it's the newest version they have. But it's not working! When I open it it doesn't show up in the top bar of unity, so i need to keep it running in the launcher. Otherwise, if it's closed from the launcher, it's still running but there's no way to get to it or quit out of it except for logging out!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Skype not showing up in the top bar

Uninstall Skype and then add the partner repository and install from there. It will pull down the necessary dependencies to allow Skype to add the icon in the top bar.
    $> cd /pub
    $> more beer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Skype not showing up in the top bar

Quote Originally Posted by timgood View Post
    Uninstall Skype and then add the partner repository and install from there. It will pull down the necessary dependencies to allow Skype to add the icon in the top bar.

I have done

Code:
    Sudo apt-get purge skype
    Search for skype and cannot find it on my machine and its not running.

Code:
    Sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install skype
    After having the problem, I launched skype and found that it was still somehow running. You may need to run top and kill the process. After doing so and re-launching skype this fixed my issue.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Hexxus; May 22nd, 2013 at 05:23 PM.
    That's the kind of society I want to build. I want a guarantee -- with physics and mathematics, not with laws -- that we can give ourselves real privacy of personal communications. - John Gilmore