Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Saucy My Way

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach,FL,USA
    Beans
    361
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Saucy My Way

    As I have said before I am a True Tester of Ubuntu and as so I have Installed Saucy this morning twice.
    I am running Saucy 64 Bits as Unity with no chnages at all and Saucy Gnome My Way with all the changes you can imagine
    Both installation are running smooth with no problems to report and all Updates installed.
    Now laugh all you want,this is My Gnome My Way:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell (choose gdm)
    sudo reboot (at login choose gnome)
    sudo apt-get purge unity*
    sudo apt-get install nautilus
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo reboot

    After reboot I also remove all these:
    sudo apt-get purge aisleriot* baobab* empathy-common* gir1.2-rb-3.0* gnome-disk-utility* gnome-mahjongg* gnome-mines* gnome-orca* gnome-sudoku* gnomine* librhythmbox-core6* libsyncdaemon-1.0-1* onboard* overlay-scrollbar* overlay-scrollbar-gtk2* overlay-scrollbar-gtk3* python-ubuntuone-client* python-ubuntuone-control-panel* python-ubuntuone-storageprotocol* remmina* remmina-common* remmina-plugin-rdp* remmina-plugin-vnc* rhythmbox* rhythmbox-data* rhythmbox-mozilla* rhythmbox-plugin-magnatune* rhythmbox-plugin-zeitgeist* rhythmbox-plugins* rhythmbox-ubuntuone* ubuntu-sso-client-qt* ubuntuone-client* ubuntuone-client-data* ubuntuone-client-gnome* ubuntuone-control-panel* ubuntuone-control-panel-qt* usb-creator-common* xdiagnose* xterm* && sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get autoclean

    I did change my Buttons Layout to my left and did some cosmetic changes to the Applications Folder,as a result I have a Clean Beautiful Install of Ubuntu Saucy 13.10 Gnome My Way with the Apps that I need.

    Warning:Unity Will Be Gone!

    Now,This is Testing!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (7.6 KB, 42 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (12.3 KB, 41 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (56.3 KB, 57 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (30.3 KB, 41 views)
    • File Type: png 5.png (43.8 KB, 39 views)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Beans
    2,801
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Saucy My Way

    Good job! I roll_my_own too.

    Doesn't look like you're into Shell Extensions. Personally, I cannot handle GS without a few extensions.

    With the right mixture of extensions, GS/Unity are on par with each other IMO.

    In particular, I've been smitten by Dock to Dock. * This should be included in the Staging Package(s).

    Not sure what the canned version of Gnome-Shell is... probably 3.8.x

    If you're running GS 3.9.1, all you need to do is compile D2D from source, and hack the metadata.json file:

    Code:
    {
    "shell-version": [
     "3.8",
     "3.9.1"  
     ], 
    "uuid": "dash-to-dock@micxgx.gmail.com",
    "name": "Dash to Dock", "description": "Transform the dash into an intellihide dock.",
    "original-author": "micxgx@gmail.com",
    "url": "https://github.com/micheleg/dash-to-dock",
    "gettext-domain": "dashtodock",
    "version": 0
    }
    * Got Icon Hider working, using this same json hack -- another great extension.

    Works great in Saucy / GS Staging!
    Last edited by VinDSL; May 5th, 2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Addendum
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,421

    Re: Saucy My Way

    Quote Originally Posted by kuvanito View Post
    As I have said before I am a True Tester of Ubuntu and as so I have Installed Saucy this morning twice.
    I am running Saucy 64 Bits as Unity with no chnages at all and Saucy Gnome My Way with all the changes you can imagine
    Both installation are running smooth with no problems to report and all Updates installed.
    Now laugh all you want,this is My Gnome My Way:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell (choose gdm)
    sudo reboot (at login choose gnome)
    sudo apt-get purge unity*
    sudo apt-get install nautilus
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo reboot

    After reboot I also remove all these:
    sudo apt-get purge aisleriot* baobab* empathy-common* gir1.2-rb-3.0* gnome-disk-utility* gnome-mahjongg* gnome-mines* gnome-orca* gnome-sudoku* gnomine* librhythmbox-core6* libsyncdaemon-1.0-1* onboard* overlay-scrollbar* overlay-scrollbar-gtk2* overlay-scrollbar-gtk3* python-ubuntuone-client* python-ubuntuone-control-panel* python-ubuntuone-storageprotocol* remmina* remmina-common* remmina-plugin-rdp* remmina-plugin-vnc* rhythmbox* rhythmbox-data* rhythmbox-mozilla* rhythmbox-plugin-magnatune* rhythmbox-plugin-zeitgeist* rhythmbox-plugins* rhythmbox-ubuntuone* ubuntu-sso-client-qt* ubuntuone-client* ubuntuone-client-data* ubuntuone-client-gnome* ubuntuone-control-panel* ubuntuone-control-panel-qt* usb-creator-common* xdiagnose* xterm* && sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get autoclean

    I did change my Buttons Layout to my left and did some cosmetic changes to the Applications Folder,as a result I have a Clean Beautiful Install of Ubuntu Saucy 13.10 Gnome My Way with the Apps that I need.

    Warning:Unity Will Be Gone!

    Now,This is Testing!
    I love to see that! Do you report your results at the QA Tracker?

    I don't mean to hound people over subscribing to QA testing but IMHO that's one of the most worthwhile things a person can do

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    5,435
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Saucy My Way

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I love to see that! Do you report your results at the QA Tracker?

    I don't mean to hound people over subscribing to QA testing but IMHO that's one of the most worthwhile things a person can do

    ... but here you report to nick that it's wasting time trying to teach old users new tricks.


    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2#post12579232

    I don't get it.

    Regards,
    Ventrical
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Just call me JF
    Beans
    1,052
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Saucy My Way

    I go even further. I start with a mini.iso, do a CLI install, then build up from there.
    1) Dell Studio 1749: i5 540 (2.5GHz), 8GB, ATi 5650, Intel 5300AGN XFCE@Manjaro-x64
    2) Lenovo X61: C2D T7200, 2GB, Intel HDA, iwlwifi, XFCE@Manjaro-x64
    3) Compaq Mini 311c: Atom N270 (OC@2.0GHz), 3GB, Nvidia ION, Broadcom G+BT XFCE@13.10x32

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach,FL,USA
    Beans
    361
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Saucy My Way

    Quote Originally Posted by jfernyhough View Post
    I go even further. I start with a mini.iso, do a CLI install, then build up from there.
    I want to do it just like you,that's my next install BUT I can not find a 13.10 minimal cd only the 13.04 and that I don't need but I can port the repos to saucy right?
    need your feedback here,pls.Thank You....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    LOCATION=/dev/random
    Beans
    5,767
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Saucy My Way

    Quote Originally Posted by kuvanito View Post
    I want to do it just like you,that's my next install BUT I can not find a 13.10 minimal cd only the 13.04 and that I don't need but I can port the repos to saucy right?
    need your feedback here,pls.Thank You....
    Saucy mini ISO's...
    32-bit http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...tboot/mini.iso
    64-bit http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...tboot/mini.iso
    Cheesemill

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach,FL,USA
    Beans
    361
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Saucy My Way

    My Point here is to prove to people that Ubuntu is the most customisable linux distro available and with the latest version of most linux open source apps
    cutting edge technology,latest kernels and so easy to customise(change) even I can do it.
    Take Unity for example.It is beautiful and stylish,fresh,new BUT if you don't like it then change it in to Gnome or even Cinnamon,come on guys! I,We have a lot to thank Canonical for.
    Thanks Ubuntu,Canonical,Mark and we are not nearly done yet,wait,there is a Phone coming out? Tablets? and TVs too? Jump on the wagon and take Ubu for a test.....

    Note:Today is Cinco de Mayo.Thank God for Heineken! I am a happy Cuban,what a mixed!!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    LOCATION=/dev/random
    Beans
    5,767
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Saucy My Way

    Did you know that there is an official Gnome version of Ubuntu?

    Using this instead of the standard Ubuntu to start with would mean that you wouldn't have to uninstall Unity and install gnome-shell. It also comes with GDM as standard instead of LightDM so you would only have the one DM installed (you have 2 with your current setup). You would also have a cleaner home folder because you wouldn't have any of the Unity specific settings saved in it like you do with your current installation.

    http://ubuntugnome.org/
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-gno...-live/current/
    Cheesemill

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach,FL,USA
    Beans
    361
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Saucy My Way

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Did you know that there is an official Gnome version of Ubuntu?

    Using this instead of the standard Ubuntu to start with would mean that you wouldn't have to uninstall Unity and install gnome-shell. It also comes with GDM as standard instead of LightDM so you would only have the one DM installed (you have 2 with your current setup). You would also have a cleaner home folder because you wouldn't have any of the Unity specific settings saved in it like you do with your current installation.

    http://ubuntugnome.org/
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-gno...-live/current/
    Sorry Bud
    I never liked the Ubuntu Official Gnome Release
    I hate EVOLUTION and all the krap that it brings to Ubuntu
    It reminds me of all the hate I had years ago to Ubuntu and Evolution(NEVER AGAIN)
    That is why I TEST
    Ubuntu My Gnome My Way!!!!!
    Besides:You will never get the Beauty of the Ubuntu Themes,like the Colors and Buttons,Windows Decorations and so with the so called official gnome release,yakwwwwwwwwwww NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •