Thread: Is my Ubuntu 10.10 corrupt?

Beans

Is my Ubuntu 10.10 corrupt?

Hi,

Today I was trying to install few, programs, but because of error message - "Requires installation of untrusted packages", I could not install any.This happened for python idle3, when i tried sudo apt-get install idle, it went perfectly with message, that some packages couldn't be installed. When I tried to launch it, it failed stating such program is not installed.

This happened with other programs too.
    When I try to update my Ubuntu, to latest release, I saw error message - "Failed to download repository information". I saw following in details.

:Failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dist...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found
    , W:Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/di...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.201 80]
    , W:Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/di...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.201 80]

and many more.

Note: Also, when this question gets solved, how do I mark it as solved? Because I could not found any option for doing that, in my last two question, because of changes occurring in interface of forums.

Kindly guide me.

Thanking you.
    Last edited by msinfo; July 17th, 2013 at 12:18 PM.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Is my Ubuntu 10.10 corrupt?

10.10 reached EOL a year ago. Time to move on

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Beans

So how do I update my system now, without re-installing Ubuntu.

Beans

Really should do a fresh install in this case as you will need to upgrade to 11.04 next and thats EOL, then 11.10, then 12.04.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...of%3DFORID%3A9

Beans

Thanks ibjsb4 for info.
    Currently I am upgrading to 11.04, using help from Help file topic : How can I upgrade to the latest version of Ubuntu?
    and command update-manager -c -d. It's under process.
    But can I know, what makes it to fail install python idle3 via Ubuntu Software Centre or command line. This not only happens with idle but with others software's too which I want to install.

Beans

Currently I am upgrading to 11.04
    Post back when your 11.04 upgrade is complete, let us know how it went.

How can I upgrade to the latest version of Ubuntu?
    Next is 11.10 and then your one step away from 12o4 LTS, supported till 2017

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by msinfo View Post
    Currently I am upgrading to 11.04
    Really, you must do a Clean install of the latest version available, ie 12.04 or 13.04. It will save you both time and other possible headaches...
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Doing a clean install really is a better idea than going up the versions, one-by-one, especially if your version has reached EOL. This will result in a tangled mess of repositories and other packages, so it's worth the trouble of burning a disc over migraines.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You can't go up to 11.04 either, it's also well and truly out of support.

A clean install is now the only way, you've left it too long to do an in-place upgrade.

These days you can do a clean install while retaining your home folder (even if it's in the same partition as /). It's really very easy.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    These days you can do a clean install while retaining your home folder (even if it's in the same partition as /). It's really very easy.
    Really? i thought you had to format it oh well.

You really should just do a clean install though, upgrades are never pretty