Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to open documents created in Microsoft Office 2010 ?

Beans

Unhappy How to open documents created in Microsoft Office 2010 ?

Hello ,

How can I open documents from Microsoft Office 2010 such as PowerPoint or Word in ubuntu ? I know I can save it in compatible format which is 2007 and open it in LibreOffice but that method with multiple files becomes pointless. Is there any way I can open documents straight away without saving it in compatible format ? I tried to open it in LibreOffice but I think that program don't support documents from office 2010.

Thanks
    Every help is appreciated
    Last edited by Majkos; May 11th, 2013 at 07:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to open documents created in Microsoft Office 2010 ?

I've had no problems opening up MS Office documents in LibreOffice. What format was the document you tried to open in? I believe the document will open just fine in LibreOffice Writer if the format is .doc and/or .docx for MS Word and .ppt, .pps, and .pptx formats will open in LibreOffice Impress for MS PowerPoint.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can use Microsof account if you have one or create one to access SKYDRIVE, which offers Word and Powerpoint online versions and also a free 20GB space.

If you want to use those documents in Libreoffice then I don't think you have an alternative but to save those in a 'compatible format' for use in Libreoffice. .docx will have formatiing errors in Libreoffice, but you can open those.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

That is strange because I tried to open .docx or XML documents which is new format in office 2010 I think and it's don't allow me saying that the format it's not appropriate. What version of LibreOffice you guys use ?

P.S Very fast reply xD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I don't use MS office anymore All the old docments I had, I gradually converted them to .odt. If i have to share my documents with MS office users then I use Skydrive. By the way, I am using Libreoffice 4. Yes there is problem with newer .docx files they sometimes open but sometimes they don't. Forget Libreoffice older MS versions have problems opening newer .docx files with correct formattig and all.

If you have only read those documents then consider converting them to .pdf.
    Last edited by fantab; May 5th, 2013 at 10:46 AM.

Beans

In the mean time I was thinking is there any online service which convert many files in one go from .docx to .doc ? Previously about few months ago I tried few but they failed , I have like 30 documents which I need to open and edit and they are saved in MS Office 2010. Currently I don't have access to machine with Office :/ so I think I'm in black hole ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

open the properties of a document and ensure that the .doc is at the end of the line
    'document name'.doc
    save in a different location and then try opening in libre ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Majkos View Post
    In the mean time I was thinking is there any online service which convert many files in one go from .docx to .doc ? Previously about few months ago I tried few but they failed , I have like 30 documents which I need to open and edit and they are saved in MS Office 2010. Currently I don't have access to machine with Office :/ so I think I'm in black hole ...
    Use microsoft online apps like Word, Powerpoint etc, with Skydrive.

Beans

why dont you try running msoffice with WINE.. that might help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I've not had any problems with compatibility and Libre Office 4, however, I'm still basing that off of MS Office 2007 & 2003 documents, as I don't have (and will not be using if I can help it) MS Office 2010.

My suggestion would be to give the latest version of Open Office a try, it's a very similar program from which Libre Office forked, but it is still kept up-to-date and may not have the same issues. Here's a link for the Deb install file http://www.openoffice.org/download/ it should auto-detect your system and give you the right version.

Let us know what ends up working for you, compatibilty with MS is a question that comes up a lot.
    Last edited by dave2001; May 5th, 2013 at 05:15 PM.
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast