Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flash videos won't play.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Flash videos won't play.

Yup, that's exactly what's listed in my plugins. On YouTube, there's still an empty space where the video should be.

EDIT: After waiting about a minute or so, a black box appeared where the video should be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That's exactly what's in my plugins. YouTube still doesn't work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by SlickStretch View Post
    Yup, that's exactly what's listed in my plugins. On YouTube, there's still an empty space where the video should be.

EDIT: After waiting about a minute or so, a black box appeared where the video should be.
    In that case, you can check if your flash player is working by visiting the flash test page at http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...sh-player.html.

If your flash player is running, you will see a running red ball.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I was not able to see the test. Unfortunately, they only had troubleshooting steps for windows and mac...

Beans

I've had similar results in the last year (a blank, or sometimes a blank that later fills in with a black box in Chromium) from installing the usual updated Adobe Flash for Linux. Adobe stopped making new versions of Flash for Linux at 11.2, and the latest update for Linux is 11.2.202.285, while new versions of Flash are up to 11.7. When I "manually" installed 11.1.102.63 instead, Flash worked. However, this may not have been the best thing to do and may not work for you, and Firefox stopped allowing old versions of Adobe Flash to run a month or two ago.

Other Flash options that may be better instead of mucking around with trying to use old, unsupported versions of Adobe's original Flash: Lightspark, Gnash, Shumway, Pepper-based Flash in Chrome (which is different from Chromium) or some combination of any or all of those, in order to enable more kinds of Flash content.

How I "manually" made an older version of Adobe Flash run in Chromium, based on my notes that I followed several times:

I downloaded fp_11.1.102.63_archive.zip from Adobe at http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...-versions.html (Edit: deep link may not work, search on Adobe's site for: archived flash player versions)

I extracted flashplayer11_1r102_63_linux.i386.tar.gz to a new folder "flashpluginextract" (using Archive Manager, but any new file extractor will do)

Then I followed the instructions that were in the readme.txt for the newer fp_11.2.202.228_archive.zip (a version that didn't work for me) modifying them appropriately for where I wanted to install Flash, resulting in these manual installation commands (using LXTerminal, but any terminal window will do)

$ cd Downloads/Adobe/flashpluginextract
    $ sudo cp -r usr/* /usr
    $ sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins/

Then I restart Chromium and enter chrome://plugins in the address bar to see whether the old version is detected and enabled.

My system: Lubuntu 12.04 - HP Pavilion ze4800 notebook - 1GB RAM - AMD IGP320M graphics (the OSS driver is supposed to be able to run the IGP320, at one one-hundredth the speed of newer on-chip graphics, but it tends not to be well-supported)
    Last edited by SonnyE; May 19th, 2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: corrected "Mushway" to Shumway

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by SlickStretch View Post
    I was not able to see the test. Unfortunately, they only had troubleshooting steps for windows and mac...
    I have no idea what went wrong with your flash player. But, it might help if you can remove all those broken packages from all your previous installations, as detailed in http://askubuntu.com/questions/12210...have-installed.

Then run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall adobe-flashplugin
    Hope That Helps!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12