Thread: Workspaces, GNOME

Beans

Workspaces, GNOME

I'm trying to get GNOME working the way I'm used to on other machines. I have my preferences set so there are 4 workspaces and the workspace switcher in the bottom panel shows 4 workspaces. When I click on any of them then I go to that workspace, and that all makes sense.

I have ALT-1, ALT-2, etc in my keyboard shortcuts set to 'switch to workspace 1', 'switch to workspace 2' etc. But, when I try to use them, somethng happens, but not what I intended. It doesn't switch me according to the workspace switcher in the bottom panel. But it does switch something because different app windows open a d close. How does this work? Is there some explanation for it?

Beans

Re: Workspaces, GNOME

What version of GNOME are you running? In terminal type:

Code:
    gnome-shell --version

What exactly did you do to change the keyboard shortcuts?
    I just changed mine by going to system settings>keyboard>navigation and changed it from there.
    Last edited by Champlin93; May 4th, 2013 at 06:37 PM.

Beans

I don't have gnome-shell on my system. If I try to run that command, it says 'gnome-shell: Command not found'.

Beans

If your using GNOME then gnome-shell should be on there. Are you sure you're not using Unity (the default desktop environment that comes with Ubuntu) or some other desktop environment like Cinnamon(Linux Mint) Xfce or LXDE?

Beans

No, I'm not sure, but what else could it be? There seems to be quite a few gnome processes running, like 'gnome-session --session=gnome-classic'. How can I tell for sure?