Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Compile the development version of vlc under the latest Ubuntu release

Beans

Re: Howto: Compile the development version of vlc under the latest Ubuntu release

Compiled version does not open blu rays for me.
    Output in terminal:
    [00000000013fa338] core interface error: option bluray-menu does not exist
    [00007fabbc003908] core input error: open of `bluray:///dev/sr1' failed

Any ideas?

//Edit: This also happens if i try to open DVDs without menu (with menu it works)
    [00007fabbc003908] core input error: open of `dvdsimple:///dev/sr0' failed
    Last edited by deepblue232; April 17th, 2014 at 11:55 PM.

Beans

Re: Howto: Compile the development version of vlc under the latest Ubuntu release

Indeed I removed the bluray instructions which require libbluray, libaacs and a keydb.cfg file in the right location. I believe that the repository version of libbluray and libaacs should be sufficient (the -dev files) and the keydb.cfg file is here.

I removed the bluray material as this guide is best completed under a virtual machine and I believe that blurays will not run under VM. I could be wrong of course...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

It works after just installing libbluray (I use makemkv for aacs). Thank you for this excellent guide! One question left: does the compiled vlc rely on any of the files in the vlc_build folder? If I understand it correctly, vlc uses the local libraries from this folder, so i haven't to compile vlc again e.g. if I updated the x264 libraries - or are they all compiled into the .deb package?

Beans

I am away from my Ubuntu installation at the moment but if you run:

Code:
    sudo ldd /usr/local/vlc
    you should see no linkage to thelocal libraries. (I am not sure, as I don't have access to my Ubuntu build at the moment, if that is actually /usr/local/bin/vlc). Mind you the definitive test would be to rename $HOME/vlc_build and see if vlc complains . Downside is that if you update either FFmpeg or x264 you will have to recompile to use the updated libraries. I am not sure how many people use vlc for transcoding to h.264, I admit that use FFmpeg directly.

Glad the guide has been useful to you, I have a few computer access problems at the moment which will make updating a little difficult for a while but hopefully things will be running again soon. The old laptop I am reduced to at the moment is significantly less than ideal for the job of compiling vlc, on my nice 8 core machine it only takes 10 minutes or so...
    Last edited by andrew.46; April 18th, 2014 at 12:01 PM.

Beans

Finally have the 8 core beast up and running again, there is a story there for one day . Anyway just for the record ldd shows a nice slender story:

Code:
    andrew@hellas:~$ sudo ldd /usr/local/bin/vlc
    	linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fffeac00000)
    	libvlc.so.5 => /usr/local/lib/libvlc.so.5 (0x00007fbe76468000)
    	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007fbe76248000)
    	libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00007fbe76040000)
    	libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007fbe75c78000)
    	libvlccore.so.7 => /usr/local/lib/libvlccore.so.7 (0x00007fbe75988000)
    	/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007fbe766a8000)
    	librt.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0x00007fbe75780000)
    	libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007fbe75478000)
    	libdbus-1.so.3 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdbus-1.so.3 (0x00007fbe75230000)
    Nice and neat, try running that on MPlayer and you will get a screen or three! Anyway not much happening at the vlc head so just the latest successful compile to give an elegant 'bump' to this thread:

Code:
    andrew@hellas:~$ cvlc --version | head -n 3
    VLC media player 2.2.0-git Weatherwax (revision 82552e5)
    VLC version 2.2.0-git Weatherwax (82552e5)
    Compiled by andrew on hellas (Apr 24 2014 19:48:26)
    Compiler: gcc version 4.8.2 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1)
    andrew@hellas:~$
    I must say the current version of this guide is looking remakably robust and for the first time I am quite happy with it as it is. Mind you I would like a bit more turbulence at the git end of things to make compiling a bit more challenging

Beans

Hi,

I have a question about syntax

I am trying to build vlc 2.2-git but encountered the warning "configure: WARNING: Library dvdread > 4.9.0 needed for dvdread was not found"
    The highest version available in Ubuntu and Debian is 4.2 So I downloaded the tarball for libdvdread-4.9.9 from videolan and build with
    Code:
    ./configure --prefix=$HOME/vlc_build/vlcdeps/usr
    in keeping with the structure of the build directories in the tutorial.

I then build vlc with
    Code:
    CPPFLAGS="-I$HOME/vlc_build/vlcdeps/usr/include"
    LDFLAGS="-L$HOME/vlc_build/vlcdeps/usr/lib"  
    PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$HOME/vlc_build/vlcdeps/usr/lib/pkgconfig"
    But still get the same complaint of not finding dvdread, but if I do instead
    Code:
    export CPPFLAGS="-I$HOME/vlc_build/vlcdeps/usr/include" 
    export LDFLAGS="-L$HOME/vlc_build/vlcdeps/usr/lib" 
    export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$HOME/vlc_build/vlcdeps/usr/lib/pkgconfig"
    Then it found libdvdread.

It appears that without "export" the build process is not actually using the dependencies in $HOME/vlc_build/vlcdeps
    but the system libraries. Does it make any sense?

I have another question. So in this case it seems that I would need to keep the build directory with libdvdread-4.9.9. I could have installed libdvdread-4.9.9 with checkinstall to replace 4.2, but then since there is no separate libdvdread-4.9.9-dev package the build process would not be able to find it. Is there a more elegant way to handle this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; June 9th, 2014 at 09:07 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Hi,

I have another question. So in this case it seems that I would need to keep the build directory with libdvdread-4.9.9. I could have installed libdvdread-4.9.9 with checkinstall to replace 4.2, but then since there is no separate libdvdread-4.9.9-dev package the build process would not be able to find it. Is there a more elegant way to handle this?

Thanks.
    first off it's a warning so it's possible vlc git doesn't absolutely require 4.9??
    (the latest daily master ppa builds still uses 4.2

If you wanted to use 4.9 (via checkinstall) then headers & includes will be installed
    Though in that case consider if there is any reason to re-build dvdnav against the 4.9 dvdread (libdvdnav-dev deps on libdvdread-dev in Debian/Ubuntu

(- I did a quick test of packaging though haven't outright tested other than a quick play of a dvd with vlc (2.1.5 built off of 4.2) to see if newer lib breaks read or dvdnav, it doesn't appear to.
    What advantage to 4.9 I don't know..

If you want a copy of the 4.9 source with a debian folder let me know
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    first off it's a warning so it's possible vlc git doesn't absolutely require 4.9??
    It is not necessary, it will build, just that it would complain that dvdread is missing.

If you wanted to use 4.9 (via checkinstall) then headers & includes will be installed
    I have installed libdvdread 4.9 via checkinstall and removed -dev packages. You are right that I don't need the -dev package. I also rebuided libdvdnav4 from Debain source package https://packages.debian.org/source/sid/libdvdnav. Rebuild vlc, now it no longer complains about not finding dvdread. I have just tested with a random dvd and it works.

Thanks for the pointer.

Doing it this way building vlc is somewhat less tedious. Since I already have ffmpeg-2.2.3 installed in /opt/ffmpeg so I just need to have CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS and PKG_CONFIG_PATH pointing there instead of some local folder where I install libdvdread ( say $HOME/vlc_build/vlcdeps in Andrew's template) and then have to build ffmpeg there again (well may be I don't have to, but I don't know how otherwise as I don't want to use the system's libav)

What advantage to 4.9 I don't know..
    Probably no advantage, it is just that I am not sure if I have full dvd support if I compile vlc 2.2 without dvdread and it requires 4.9. I had vlc 2.14 and it segfaulted ever so often with VAAPI enabled and some videos appear pixiated, vlc 2.2 seems to fix all these problems

If you want a copy of the 4.9 source with a debian folder let me know
    Thanks for the kind offer, it is working out very nicely now.

P.S. Where do you get vlc 2.1.5? The latest release I can find is 2.1.4 http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; June 10th, 2014 at 10:09 AM.

Beans

"P.S. Where do you get vlc 2.1.5? The latest release I can find is 2.1.4"
    2.1.5 is 2.1.4 + git commits to maintenance (stable
    If I find any commits of value then I take the current source from the stable ppa & upload to the media ppa
    (basically waiting till 2.2 goes stable

Edit:
    It appears that without "export" the build process is not actually using the dependencies in $HOME/vlc_build/vlcdeps
    but the system libraries. Does it make any sense?

Vlc (& maybe others?) can do that, that was one of the reasons for adjusting the FFmpeg build method to install includes & headers to somewhere not in normal paths. ( the guide of choice now uses $HOME/ffmpeg_build
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; June 10th, 2014 at 04:27 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post

Vlc (& maybe others?) can do that, that was one of the reasons for adjusting the FFmpeg build method to install includes & headers to somewhere not in normal paths. ( the guide of choice now uses $HOME/ffmpeg_build
    Hi,

This is not what I found. In my first attempt I installed libdvdread-4.9.9 in $HOME/vlc_build/vlcdeps/usr and then build vlc. Without "export" in front of CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS and PKG-CONFIG-PATH it did not find libdvdread, but with 'export' added it did. So it made a difference. Now since in the guide a local version ffmpeg is installed in the same place and the environment variables are set in the same way but without 'export' I am wondering maybe vlc is actually compiled with system libav instead of the local version of ffmpeg (I remember having an issue compiling vlc 2.1.2 back in Ubuntu 13.04 o get vdpau support, it complained that libavcodecs was not up to date even though I built a local ffmpeg from git following much the same the build structure here, it only worked when I added 'export')

I have since built vlc in a different way (as explained above, export CPPFLAGS etc to /opt/ffmpeg/. to use libav libraries with ffmpeg-2.2.3. and use system libs for libdvdread and everything else) I don't have the old config log to see which version of libav was actually used without 'export' in my first attempt.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; June 11th, 2014 at 01:07 AM.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast