Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Howto: Compile the development version of vlc under the latest Ubuntu release

Beans

Re: aud

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    edit: fooling around with both the qt & gtk2 interfaces gtk2 is currently much better on ubuntu
    Mind you my daily desktop is Fluxbox so gtk or qt tends to look equally ugly . As a further sidenote I see that MKVtoolnix is moving to qt over the next few versions...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Re: Howto: Compile the development version of vlc under the latest Ubuntu release

I think as time goes on this guide will have good value, even with the return of ffmpeg to some degree.
    It seems that vlc has chosen to base off of libav so there will certainly times when even if ffmpeg-shared is available builds will fail, users would need to use an ffmpeg git statically linked (once vlc inspired commits to libav are merged in FFmpeg.
    So in that regard this is a means to that end.

(- current example would be some vlc vdpau changes where the code will vary depending on libavcodec minor version. So while currently libav11 or so and ffmpeg 2.5.x or so are @ 56 the minor version is way different.
    ex. -
    libavcodec 56. 1. 0 vs 56. 13.100

Seems to me that at some point Debian needs to pick one or the other..

Beans

Re: Howto: Compile the development version of vlc under the latest Ubuntu release

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    I think as time goes on this guide will have good value, even with the return of ffmpeg to some degree.
    I worry a little about this guide on these Forums, it seems a little out of step with what most people are after. Hence my placing of the guide on my website where I am testing if there is more interest from the wider Ubuntu community.

Certainly server logs show about half the number of page views for the vlc guide as opposed to the MPlayer guide but the site has only just been fully reindexed by google and ranking is pretty low, numbers should mature over the next 6 months or so. Some very polite emails thanking me for showing how to build MEncoder which is interesting and I will have to continue this, some have MEncoder in scripts that work well for them and they do not wish to change to FFmpeg.

Greatest ranking, indexing, page views from my abcde page which is also interesting, but not changed since I last had the site online...

Beans

Hello,

I will try bump this thread.
    This VLC developer version working on ubuntu version 14.04 server?

Thanks in advance for time and tutorial.

Tested:

Like always have some problems from first time... No erros shows, but getting "kils"problem.JPG

Found and erros -problem1.jpg

[000000000061ee48] core interface error: no suitable interface module
    [0000000000605118] core libvlc error: interface "globalhotkeys,none" initialization failed
    [000000000061ee48] core interface debug: looking for interface module matching "dbus,none": 18 candidates
    [000000000061ee48] dbus interface error: Failed to connect to the D-Bus session daemon: Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11
    [000000000061ee48] core interface debug: no interface modules matched
    [000000000061ee48] core interface error: no suitable interface module
    [0000000000605118] core libvlc error: interface "dbus,none" initialization failed
    Last edited by poul2; February 6th, 2015 at 03:39 PM.

Beans

Don't think it build on 14.0.4. Tried it around Xmas, vlc 3.0.0 requires newer libs (can't remember which ones) than provided by stock Ubuntu. So I build the vlc2.2.0 nightly instead.

Beans

This guide has slowly slipped into a deep sleep but some might be interested to see that work continues in the world away from these forums:

Compile vlc-git under the latest Ubuntu release...
    http://www.andrews-corner.org/ubuntu/vlc.html

It has been updated for the Wily Werewolf, I see that this has a scarily modern gcc btw

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    This guide has slowly slipped into a deep sleep but some might be interested to see that work continues in the world away from these forums:

http://www.andrews-corner.org/ubuntu/vlc.html

It has been updated for the Wily Werewolf, I see that this has a scarily modern gcc btw
    Bookmarked andrew.46 and thank you.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

when i trying the install vlc-git i get the following errors:
    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
    make[4]: *** [codec/libdaala_plugin_la-daala.lo] Error 1
    make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/zekeriya/vlc_build/vlc/modules'
    make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/zekeriya/vlc_build/vlc/modules'
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/zekeriya/vlc_build/vlc/modules'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/zekeriya/vlc_build/vlc'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

Beans

This guide has not been worked on for a loooooooooooong time and perhaps should be closed I think. But for the moment simply omit the following from the ./configure string:

Code:
    --enable-daala
    The newer version of this guide, which I host on my website, has given up on daala which is just a little too early in its development cycle for my taste .

Beans

The latest git vlc seems to be stuck with an FFmpeg error:

October 3rd, 2016: Unable to compile vlc-git
    https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=135840

This is based on the work here:

http://www.andrews-corner.org/linux/ubuntu/vlc.html

This one has me stumped completely and I would be very interested to hear if anybody has got around this one. Compile still fails for me October 8th. Pastebin output here...

On a side note I am considering bringing the guide back to these forums as a mirror of the website. Just a matter of scripting it to make it a simple enough process...

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast