Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remastersys or Relinux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Remastersys or Relinux

Oh, I think I know part of the issue now. I forgot that running sudo actually discards any environment variable information (including $HOME), so try this (in your host, not in the ISO):

Code:
    sudo -s
    export HOME=/etc/skel
    xfce4-settings-manager
    See if that works!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi again.
    I tried that and for some reason now I'm not able to create the ISO with Relinux, it only creates the md5 file with 0 bytes? I've made a clone of my virtual machine just to test your code.
    Reverted back to original VM and the ISO creation works fine.
    Any clues?

Beans
    Distro

Okay, I think I get the issue now... it's with xfce4-settings-manager being a bit too smart. So instead, first make sure that your normal user has the theme you want, and then run this:
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /etc/skel/.config
    sudo cp -R ~/.config /etc/skel/
    I think it should work this time.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I tried that code, I was able to create the ISO, but when I choose to boot the "Live User" option in the menu I get this

What's BusyBox?

Beans
    Distro

Odd, I tried doing this on my testing machine using relinux, and I came to 2 conclusions:

• My testing machine is really slow
    • And, the issue that you're having is not caused by the commands I gave you, because it worked perfectly fine for me

So something else must be causing it... maybe it's the combination of all of the commands I gave you? Try re-installing the master system (the one you run relinux or remastersys from), and see if that works (only run the last commands I gave you, the one I wrote 2 days ago, not any of the older ones). The issue you're having there seems to be much more low-level than just a /etc/skel error, so I think it will be simpler to just re-install than to try and pinpoint the issue.

Also, busybox is just a single executable that contains a lot of common shell utilities, such as mkdir and ls (and a shell). It's quite useful for recovery systems (such as the one your screenshot indicated), as they only have to bundle one executable, instead of hundreds. But that's not the cause and/or related to the issue

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I tried that last code you gave me on a fresh copy of the system. I'll clone my original VM and try once more.
    If I can't put this to work I'll just drop it, the essencial of the project it's already concluded.
    Thanks for your help anyway. If you come around these parts someday I'll buy you a beer (I visited your personal website, not sure if I should though ).

Beans
    Distro

Okay, that's really odd... could you make 2 ISO's, one before running the commands, and one after running them? Also, before you make the first ISO, save a snapshot, and restore that snapshot (maybe create another one before doing that?) before running the commands and making the second one. That way, we can know if it's actually the commands that cause it, or if it's a completely different issue. It could also help with knowing what happened during the boot time that created the issue (if it's actually the commands that are causing the issue, it'll help us to know why, by using comparing files between both).

No problem! Haha, I might have to pass on that one XD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12