Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to disable screensaver

Beans

Re: How to disable screensaver

I considered caffeine, but it is not in the repository for Lubuntu 12.04. In any case, I prefer to avoid adding another dependency -- especially in a case where the problem was caused by too many dependencies with overlapping functionality.

I wanted to add one comment to my posting with the solution to the problem. I am having trouble understanding why X11 provides both DPMS and xscreensaver, considering that the functionality of the first appears to be subsumed by the second. Moreover, xfce4-power-manager triplicates some of the functionality. Having three modules performing the same functions seems like a bad design. Also, if my belief is correct that a recent upgrade to X11 activated the DPMS functionality, then a lot of users are going to be surprised as I was when their configuration of xfce4-power-manager and xsreensaver mysteriously stops working. This seems like a particularly poor upgrade policy for an LTS release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Got the old Dell out of the closet and after updating the kernel to 3.2.0.41, it works like a charm. I just thought of something that perhaps you were not doing. Under Memu->Preferences->Power Manager there is a box for disabling DPMS under the General Tab. Did you have that checked before you found your solution?

By the way Lubuntu 12.04 is not a LTS release. As of this moment there is no LTS release for Lubuntu. They do not have the manpower to support the versions.
    Last edited by Rex Bouwense; May 5th, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
    Rex
    Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth
    Arizona LoCo |Arizona Team Wiki|Arizona Launchpad

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbarish View Post
    I found the problem. It's X11. It has something called DPMS. By default, it blanks the screen at 10 minutes (just as I was seeing). To fix the problem, I created a file called 10-disable-dpms.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d (which I had to create) containing:

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "BlankTime" "0"
    Option "StandbyTime" "0"
    Option "SuspendTime" "0"
    Option "OffTime" "0"
    EndSection

I'm pretty sure I saw an X upgrade go by some time ago, so I bet that's when this problem started.

Thanks anyway for the suggestions.

This works in lubuntu 13.10 also.

Example

Code:
    cd /etc/X11
    sudo mkdir xorg.conf.d
    cd xorg.conf.d
    sudo touch 10-disable-dpms.conf
    sudo nano 10-disable-dpms.conf 
    #Add code from comment (copy/paste)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In 13.10, the "Brightness and Lock" settings panel -- distinct from the screensaver -- inlcudes settings to lock and turn off the screen after a specified period. Or, not.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    In 13.10, the "Brightness and Lock" settings panel -- distinct from the screensaver -- inlcudes settings to lock and turn off the screen after a specified period. Or, not.
    The posters have Lubuntu in mind. Is your answer relating to Ubuntu? I'm not seeing a "Brightness and Lock" settings panel in Lubuntu 13.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    The posters have Lubuntu in mind. Is your answer relating to Ubuntu? I'm not seeing a "Brightness and Lock" settings panel in Lubuntu 13.10.
    Ah, yep, Ubuntu. Sorry. Odd if it's been removed, tho.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Ah, yep, Ubuntu. Sorry. Odd if it's been removed, tho.

No idea but a Xubuntu user has been reporting something similar (I think): https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xu...er/006163.html

I took another tack and I'm using a small script to run every 8 min; it uses xdotool to send a keypress of the shift key every 8 min when the CPU usage exceeds a set value (like when I'm watching a video).

BTW, I don't see the screen getting locked at any time. If I leave my laptop unattended (with minimal CPU usage) the screen just goes blank and never locks. I'm a single user and don't have to worry about others touching my lappie. I don't have any screensaver installed and xscreensaver isn't part of Lubuntu 13.10, AFAIK.

Beans

this is for pple who find this googling for answers.
    [ solution ] from cmdline 》xset s off && xset -dpms
    that should disable screensaver & powersaver.
    u can also change timed to 1hr like so
    》xset s 3600 && xset dpms 3600

finally to re-enable
    》xset s on && xset +dpms

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbarish View Post
    To fix the problem, I created a file called 10-disable-dpms.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d (which I had to create) containing:

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "BlankTime" "0"
    Option "StandbyTime" "0"
    Option "SuspendTime" "0"
    Option "OffTime" "0"
    EndSection
    This worked for me (Lubuntu 14.04). Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12