Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to disable screensaver

Beans

How to disable screensaver

I am running lubuntu 12.04. I would like to completely disable the screensaver. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Under Preferences | Power Manager | On AC | Monitor: set both sliders for Monitor to 0 (Never).

2. Under Preferences | Screensaver Preferences: set Mode to Disable Screen Saver.

3. Under System Tools | dconf-Editor, org | gnome | desktop | applications | screensaver: idle-activation-enabled and lock-enabled unticked.

4. apt-get purge xscreensaver xscreensaver-data

The display still blanks after 5-10 minutes. Any idea what I missed?

Beans

Re: How to disable screensaver

Had the same problem. If I remember correctly, this fixed it:

Preferences > Power Manager > General : Uncheck 'Monitor Power Management Control'

which inhibits the power manager from putting the monitor into sleep mode.

With this, monitor stays on always, and any screensaver (if enabled) would work after the set amount of time for inactivity.
    Last edited by Dennis N; May 4th, 2013 at 05:55 AM.

Beans

I tried that setting too. Makes no difference. I wasn't sure what its purpose was supposed to be, so I did not report that test previously. I even tried rebooting after unchecking the box.

I tried setting the slider for "Put display to sleep when computer is inactive" to 1 minute. With the box "Monitor power management control" checked, the display went dark at 1 minute. With the box unchecked, the monitor did not go dark at 1 minute. I conclude that the Xfce Power Manager is doing what it is expected to do. However, no matter how I set anything on this panel, the display goes dark at 10 minutes. It seems as if something else is blanking the screen.

BTW, I have two platforms suffering from this problem. This problem is new. For certain I was previously able to turn off the screensaver using only steps 1 and 2 on my list.

Beans

I did a test for my own information, and also to recheck that I didn't give you bad information.

Two Computers, Laptop running Lubuntu 13.04, Desktop running Lubuntu 12.10
    [obvious difference here, in that you have Lubuntu 12.04 - might be a factor.]

Laptop Setup of Power Manager:

General
    Monitor Power Management control : Unchecked for this test (originally it was checked, and the power manager was known to be working and to shut down the display as set in the Monitor tab)

OnAC
    Actions tab
    when laptop lid is closed: lock screen
    Put the computer to sleep when inactive for: never
    Monitor tab
    Monitor options to put display to sleep or switch off display are set for 20 min. and 45 min.
    Brightness
    Reduce screen brightness when inactive for: never

Screen Saver Options
    Screen Saver Disabled
    Laptop was run on ac power for one hour untouched. Screen remained full-on throughout that time. The monitor tab settings were ignored, since power management option was unchecked in General Tab. That is how I thought it was supposed to work, and that was confirmed.

Desktop Setup

General
    Monitor Power Management control : Unchecked

OnAC
    Actions:
    Put to sleep when inactive: Never
    Monitor
    Both sliders set to never.

Screensaver Options:
    Selected screensaver set for one hour.
    Desktop also ran for an hour. Monitor remained full-on until my screensaver kicked in at 1 hour as expected. Stopped the test at that point. Everything as expected.

The obvious difference is that you are running Lubuntu 12.04, and I don't have that version anymore. The packages for xfce4-power-manager are not the same version. You can investigate that, and look at the changelogs or bug reports.

Also, I never used dconf to change any settings on my systems.
    Last edited by Dennis N; May 4th, 2013 at 08:07 PM.

Beans

Forgot to add this in:

Documentation for xfce4-power-manager:

http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-powe...etting-started

Unfortunately, an older version is described there - page last updated Mar 2012. Still may have something you can use.

Good Luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

OK, something is definitely screwy. I have Lubuntu 12.04 and Lubuntu 12.10 on my ASUS netbook. I had to reboot to get back into 12.04 and I used the described procedures to disable the screen saver. I didn't wait an hour but for 30 minutes the screen remained the same. Previously I had set the screen saver to come on in 10 minutes.
    Rex
    ASUS EeePC 1000h with Lubuntu 14.04
    Dell Inspiron 1000 with Lubuntu 14.04

Beans

Thanks, guys. It's especially interesting to know that 12.04 works for someone else. I gather that you don't run 12.04 often. Did you try doing all updates? I'm pretty sure that the problem occurred on my system as a result of some update because, as I said before, I didn't have this problem some time ago.

I tried uninstalling xfce4-power-manager. I don't even have the configuration panel we have been discussing anymore. I previously uninstalled xscreensaver. The screen still blanks at 10 minutes.

I discovered that the changes I made with dconf-editor had reverted to their default values. I made the changes again. The screen still blanks at 10 minutes. Obviously something else is causing the screen to blank. Could it be the monitor itself? I don't see any options to that effect in the menu. Could it be UEFI? Again, I don't see anything relevant there. I looked through the output of ps aux. I don't see anything there that looks relevant, but as you know there are a lot of things running with obscure names.

It would be very interesting to know whether someone running 12.04 with all updates sees this problem. You don't have to wait more than 10 minutes.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Perhaps I was holding my mouth just right. My 12.04 is up to date. I ran the software updater just before I tried the procedure. Somewhere in the closet I have a very old Dell Inspiron 1000 with Lubuntu 12.04 installed. I haven't played with it for a month or so. I'll get it out and see if I can disable the screensaver. It needs something new on it anyway.
    Rex
    ASUS EeePC 1000h with Lubuntu 14.04
    Dell Inspiron 1000 with Lubuntu 14.04

Beans

I found the problem. It's X11. It has something called DPMS. By default, it blanks the screen at 10 minutes (just as I was seeing). To fix the problem, I created a file called 10-disable-dpms.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d (which I had to create) containing:

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "BlankTime" "0"
    Option "StandbyTime" "0"
    Option "SuspendTime" "0"
    Option "OffTime" "0"
    EndSection

I'm pretty sure I saw an X upgrade go by some time ago, so I bet that's when this problem started.

Thanks anyway for the suggestions.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Can you guys install Caffeine? I don't know anything about Lubuntu software, but it's in the Ubuntu Software Centre and is what I use.

Caveat: I don't know if it's a permanent disable, might just be per session.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast