Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DHCP server not connected

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

DHCP server not connected

This is weird: I have Precise 12.04, Quantal 12.10, Raring 13.04, Linux Mint Cinnamon and Windows 7 installed.
    Yesterday I borked an install and could only get the grub rescue prompt upon boot.
    After trying many things I finally purged and reinstalled Grub on Precise with Boot-Repair from this page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair and that fixed it.

Many thanks to YannBuntu for that by the way.

Now Precise will not connect to the internet. All of the other installs connect fine including windows 7 but Precise will not connect no matter what I have tried.
    I logged into my wireless router which is wired to my PC and when I tested the connection it gave "DHCP server not connected" error.

But, otherwise the router gave the public ip and all looked good with it but, it will not connect to the internet.

Strange how one install will not connect yet all of the others will.

Any help is muchly appreciated!
    Last edited by Cavsfan; June 4th, 2013 at 06:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: DHCP server not connected

I presume you have verified that the machine has an IP address (otherwise it couldn't log into the router). If it has one, I'm confused on why it would complain about the DHCP server. Not DHCP related, but can you ping internet sites by name or IP?
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    I presume you have verified that the machine has an IP address (otherwise it couldn't log into the router). If it has one, I'm confused on why it would complain about the DHCP server. Not DHCP related, but can you ping internet sites by name or IP?
    Just logged into Precise and no internet what so ever. Tried to ping yahoo dot com and it failed. Have a conky that is dependent on internet for the weather and it fails when it boots up. Yes it has an ip address viewable on the conky on Quantal, Raring, Mint and so I know that it is only Precise that has the problem. Windows 7 also has no problem whatsoever with internet.

Maybe it has something to do with me purging grub and then re-installing it on Precise from a live-cd but, I cannot see what that would have to do with it.

Very perplexing to say the least. I cannot "google" answers on there as there is no internet and I totally am clueless on this one.

EDIT: It even shows the ip address when I login to the router but, when I test the connection it fails with the message in the title of the thread. And nothing internet related will connect period.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; May 3rd, 2013 at 11:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No guessing; We need info to diagnose.

What is the IP address of the host? Can you ping this address? What is the LAN side address of the router? Can you ping this address?

What are the IPv4 Gateway setting for this interface in Network-Manager? What DNS servers are you using?
    Post post the output of this terminal command
    Code:
     ping -c4 91.189.94.12
    FWIW -- The router doesn't hand out "public IP" addresses unless you specifically set this up, Typically a home (or SOHO) router hands out "Private IP" addresses and uses NAT to manage connectivity to the wider world (e.g The Internet) through the the WAN side interface of the router.
    Last edited by bab1; May 4th, 2013 at 12:19 AM.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bab1 View Post
    No guessing; We need info to diagnose.

What is the IP address of the host? Can you ping this address? What is the LAN side address of the router? Can you ping this address?

What are the IPv4 Gateway setting for this interface in Network-Manager? What DNS servers are you using?
    Post post the output of this terminal command
    Code:
     ping -c4 91.189.94.12
    FWIW -- The router doesn't hand out "public IP" addresses unless you specifically set this up, Typically a home (or SOHO) router hands out "Private IP" addresses and uses NAT to manage connectivity to the wider world (e.g The Internet) through the the WAN side interface of the router.
    The Buffalo router address is the typical 192.168.11.1 which I was able to successfully ping:
    Code:
    --- 192.168.11.1 ping statistics ---
    63 packets transmitted, 63 received, 0% packet loss, time 62003ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.572/0.725/8.486/0.985 ms
    Had to press cntl c to get it to stop.

When I click on System info on the router is when it says "communicating" and shows the pulblic ip address. Everything looks perfectly fine at that point.
    I know the public IP address as it shows on the other 3 Linux OSs conky as well as on an app on my adroid phone, but on Precise it is blank along with N/A on all of the conkywx weather info.

As you can see on this screenshot of Precise taken before the problem occurred (where it currently says 'Lol Lol Lol' prior to the Grub rescue, etc.

I can ping the lan ip address successfully: 192.168.11.5.

Here is the output you requested. It connects to the internet just fine.
    Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-desktop:~$ ping -c4 91.189.94.12
    PING 91.189.94.12 (91.189.94.12) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 91.189.94.12: icmp_req=1 ttl=48 time=109 ms
    64 bytes from 91.189.94.12: icmp_req=2 ttl=48 time=109 ms
    64 bytes from 91.189.94.12: icmp_req=3 ttl=48 time=108 ms
    64 bytes from 91.189.94.12: icmp_req=4 ttl=48 time=110 ms

--- 91.189.94.12 ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3001ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 108.550/109.444/110.052/0.553 ms
    It is when I click "check connection" on the router that it gets the "DHCP Server not detected" error.

Conky cannot get weather info, Firefox doesn't connect to any site and sudo apt-get update gets nothing but errors.

So it looks like it is connecting but just not all the way.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Not sure if I made this clear. Only Precise has this problem. All of the other OSs in my signature have no problem whatsoever.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    The Buffalo router address is the typical 192.168.11.1 which I was able to successfully ping:
    Code:
    --- 192.168.11.1 ping statistics ---
    63 packets transmitted, 63 received, 0% packet loss, time 62003ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.572/0.725/8.486/0.985 ms
    Had to press cntl c to get it to stop.

When I click on System info on the router is when it says "communicating" and shows the pulblic ip address. Everything looks perfectly fine at that point.
    I know the public IP address as it shows on the other 3 Linux OSs conky as well as on an app on my adroid phone, but on Precise it is blank along with N/A on all of the conkywx weather info.

As you can see on this screenshot of Precise taken before the problem occurred (where it currently says 'Lol Lol Lol' prior to the Grub rescue, etc.

I can ping the lan ip address successfully: 192.168.11.5.

Here is the output you requested. It connects to the internet just fine.
    Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-desktop:~$ ping -c4 91.189.94.12
    PING 91.189.94.12 (91.189.94.12) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 91.189.94.12: icmp_req=1 ttl=48 time=109 ms
    64 bytes from 91.189.94.12: icmp_req=2 ttl=48 time=109 ms
    64 bytes from 91.189.94.12: icmp_req=3 ttl=48 time=108 ms
    64 bytes from 91.189.94.12: icmp_req=4 ttl=48 time=110 ms

--- 91.189.94.12 ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3001ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 108.550/109.444/110.052/0.553 ms
    It is when I click "check connection" on the router that it gets the "DHCP Server not detected" error.

Conky cannot get weather info, Firefox doesn't connect to any site and sudo apt-get update gets nothing but errors.
    This appears to be the case in your situation -- The IP addressing is fine. You have TCP/IP connectivity from 192.168.11.5 (the computer you are using) to itself, then the gateway (router -- 192.168.11.1) and also a host on the Internet ( 91.189.94.12 (ubuntuforums.org)).

The problem appears to be a lack of DNS resolution. I would check you settings for the name server you are using for DNS. Conky, Firefox and APT repositories are dependent on DNS for name (FQDN) to IP address resolution.

Edit: The DNS settings I'm referring to are specific to the OS you are running at any time. They are configured at the host (computer) you are using, not the router. The setting may be the routers IP address however.
    Last edited by bab1; May 4th, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This appears to be the case in your situation -- The IP addressing is fine. You have TCP/IP connectivity from 192.168.11.5 (the computer you are using) to itself, then the gateway (router -- 192.168.11.1) and also a host on the Internet ( 91.189.94.12 (ubuntuforums.org)).

The problem appears to be a lack of DNS resolution. I would check you settings for the name server you are using for DNS. Conky, Firefox and APT repositories are dependent on DNS for name (FQDN) to IP address resolution.

Edit: The DNS settings I'm referring to are specific to the OS you are running at any time. They are configured at the host (computer) you are using, not the router. The setting may be the routers IP address however.
    Thanks but, where do I go in Precise to do this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Thanks but, where do I go in Precise to do this?
    It really depends on what method the OS is using to manage you network. It could be Network Manager if you are using Ubuntu. I assume this is what you are using.

To find NM you can look in DASH. Type nm and the Network icon should appear. Click on this and then select 'edit connections". Select the interface you are using (wired or wireless). Select the tab for IPv4 connections. This should show you the settings. What are all the settings listed. At the very least what is the DNS server setting?
    Last edited by bab1; May 4th, 2013 at 11:02 PM.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It really depends on what method the OS is using to manage you network. It could be Network Manager if you are using Ubuntu. I assume this is what you are using.

To find NM you can look in DASH. Type nm and the Network icon should appear. Click on this and then select 'edit connections". Select the interface you are using (wired or wireless). Select the tab for IPv4 connections. This should show you the settings. What are all the settings listed. At the very least what is the DNS server setting?
    Yes, Precise is the only Linux OS that will not connect to the internet.
    Quantal Quetzal 12.10 connects just fine.
    Raring Ringtail 13.04 connects just fine.
    Linux Mint 14 connects just fine.

The network settings in Precise Pangolin 12.04.2 which does not work are exactly the same as the network settings in Linux Mint 14:

Screenshot1-2013-05-06.png Screenshot2-2013-05-06.png Screenshot3-2013-05-06.png

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast