Thread: Overheating problem since update to 13.04

Beans

Post Overheating problem since update to 13.04

Hi,

I've recently updated my ubuntu from 12.10 to 13.04 and since then the fan seems to have been stuck to 100%. It's unbearably noisy.
    I've browsed through quite a lot of discussion whitout success.

I've installed tlp and it seems that my CPU is about 37°C, so I'm not sure if the problem come from an overheat or from a "fan management speed".
    I've tried to get a newer version of the kernel (3.9), no change.
    I've tried to use the kernel version I had with ubuntu 12.10 (3.5), no change neither

When I tried to boot on windows 7, same problem.
    Actually, even if I stay on the grub menu for a few seconds, my fan goes from what used to be normal to full speed.
    So maybe the problem comes from more basic stuff.

My configuration :
    System = Medion E6217 (a laptop)BIOS = 202
    Release = Ubuntu 13.04
    Kernel = 3.9.0-030900-generic i686
    Graphics = intel i915 (integrated)

I can provide other informations if you need.

Thanks for your help =/

Edit : I don't believe the problem could be from there, but here is some boot-info : http://paste.ubuntu.com/5629995/
    Last edited by Tews33; May 3rd, 2013 at 08:09 PM.

Beans

Re: Overheating problem since update to 13.04

Alright, maybe this problem seems to be a little too common for you guys to answer =/

I'll try to highlight the differences from every thread I've checked so far :

• No matter what OS I boot on, or even I I stay on the GRUB, the fan goes full speed.
      • maybe something to do with the bios then ?

• the fan is on regular speed during the first 20 sec and then goes full speed and stay consistent after that.
    • this happened just after I updated from ubuntu 12.10 to 13.04, so I doubt it is a "regular maintenance problem" like dust accumulation, although it's still possible.

I'm not even sure anymore if the problem is overheating which cause the fan to go full speed or if something has been messed up in the fan speed control.
    I don't know either if the designated fan is the one on the CPU or the GPU.

Any slight bit of hope would be greatly appreciated, or any useful link, or something I could look into, or well, anything

Beans

37C is not overheating, so fan control is messed up if the fan is running full speed at that temp.

I don't know either if the designated fan is the one on the CPU or the GPU.
    What is your GPU and what driver are you using?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Check fan settings in BIOS or UEFI if you use that.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 14.04TrustyTahr with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4

Beans

Thanks for your answers !

Here is the output of the
    Code:
    tlp-stat
    command, in case it may be an obvious missconfiguration : http://paste.ubuntu.com/5637492/

@SuperFreak
    I've spent quite a while in my BIOS since that happened, no such control option, or any mention of fan in there. Merely a few information about my processor clock speed.

@Temüjin
    After a few checks, it's something called "Intel® HD Graphics" I think it's probably something integrated on the motherboard. So it's not impossible that I actually have a single fan.
    After your answer, I went on the intel website to find the driver they provide, but the newest was intended for ubuntu 12.10 (wich didn't work, I tried anyway).
    Maybe I should try to compile it on my own but I have little idea on how to do that so it would probably takes me a couple hours more.

If I can't find any solution, I'll try to install the 12.04 or a more "stable" distrib, but I'm not even sure that would fix the problem.

Update : I formatted what I thought was the guilty partition, but no change. I ran dry of any possible solution right now ...
    Somebody please help me =/
    Last edited by Tews33; May 7th, 2013 at 12:24 AM.

Beans

Hey !

So my problem is still there, and still quite anoying.

I found this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 and almost every symptom is there !

PROBLEM : I don't have a mac ... but still a intel CPU though

Anyone ? Do you know something equivalent for my medion e6217 ?

Beans

up

Beans

I have the same problem since today. Left he PC on lock and when I came back the fan was at full speed. But I don't have an Intel, but instead an AMD Athlon II X2 215. It started making the noise today and I have no idea what to do.

Beans

Is the PC equivalent for the mac SMC (system management controller) is the BIOS? Should I try to reset it ? what are the risques ?
    Last edited by Tews33; May 17th, 2013 at 12:15 AM.