Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12.4 Can't move slider to allocate size of partition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: 12.4 Can't move slider to allocate size of partition

The 2TB disk has one ntfs partition suing the whole disk. On top of that, it might be a problem since it says it ends at 243202 cylinders and the total of the disk is 243201 cylinder. So this might be an error in the partition table.

The 1.5TB disk now has unallocated space, but it also has 4 primary partitions which is the limit of a disk with msdos table. The ubuntu installer can't create new partitions from the unallocated space because it already has the maximum number of partitions.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

My version of Windows is Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 64Bt and it only shows me that the system only has two Partitions C & D on the 1.5 disk, the other two partition must be required by Windows internals, there sizes are 19KB and 100KB the other disk only has 4kb unused. As the factory instal used up all the 4 partitions I assume that at present am not able to instal Ubuntu or any other distro using that disk - a pity as I like Linux and Ubuntu in particular as updating is so efficient.

If I try to make space on that 2 Tb disk by transferring files it would upset the indexes have built up so instead will just extend the D partition to use the now unallocated area on 1.5

Thanks for your time and advice, it is appreciated OldPeter

ps. Will mark this as closed in a few days if no one else has any bright ideas.

Beans

Just had a thought. If I use wubi does Ubuntu still require it's own partition? My bios is this old and new type (E...) if that matters - had an idea it did with W8 OldPeter

Beans
    Distro

You can consider converting the sda4 partition in logical, which will then allow you to use the unallocated space behind it for more logical partitions. Ubuntu installs just fine on logical partitions.

Wubi is not a solution since it's only for a short try, not long term use. And especially not for upgrading to future releases. In fact, I think that starting from the latest 13.04 they finally dropped wubi.

If you decide to convert sda4 to logical, I'm not sure whether it will temporarily lose the D: letter, because I've never done that myself. But even if it does, you can easily assing the same letter again in windows the first time you boot it. I am mentioning this in case you have something on that partition that depends on the letter.

In case you want to try this, the best bet is using fixparts from ubuntu live mode. Load the live mode, download and install the .deb package, and then you can call it in terminal with:
    Code:
    sudo fixparts /dev/sda
    In the tutorial you have the options listed, and which one is for changing partitions to logical.

www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Thanks for the information and the tutorial, am now half installed - as far as the restart after the initial Ubuntu instal.

I was not sure whether a linux application would download and run when the actual OS was sitting on a CD so decided to change the partition type in W7. And as I already had Mini Tool Partition Wizard Home Edition on the machine ( which is very easy to use) I used it and the D partition did remain within W7 even though it is now a logical partition.

The Ubuntu instal seemed to go fine until it said it needed to restart to finish but restarting or starting only starts W7

I downloaded the up-to-date version of Boot-repair which seems (lubuntu) cumbersome and not yet finished compared with the old KDE version. It recommended I run three terminal commands by inputting them through copy/paste but the copy/paste facility does not work so I typed out the first command sudo chroot "/mnt/boot-sav/sda6" dpkg-config-a but it said it couildnt not find the file - I dont think I made a typing mistake but could have. So tried to use the web facility and wasnt able to discover how it would send an email to, boot.repair@gmail through the only web page it would load so I just did a dump and left it. The dump is at http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/5645070/

Would appreciate some more advice OldPeter

PS This instal it did not come up and ask which OS I wanted as the default starting system or how long to wait before taking the default. I did remove the installation dvd before restarting if that was incorrect

Beans
    Distro

Out of what ever reason grub2 didn't install to the MBR. You can add it from live mode. Boot the cd in live mode, open terminal and run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install /dev/sda6 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
    Reboot and see if that presents you with the grub2 boot menu.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Sorry your advice not fully understood -what do you mean by live mode?

When I isert the Ubuntu dvd and say run "trial it", the only other option is "instal it", the resulting desktop does not have a facility to use a terminal so I cant see how I can input Linux commands. I did see that there were some terminals available from Software Centre but if I requested such a download would it be installed in the trial workkspace or the copy of Ubuntu that is already installed and probably already includes a terminal application?

Or did you mean that I should input (type) those commands into the limited lubuntu terminal provided by the "Boot Repair" application?

You did note that the instal didnt ask how much disk space to use or which system I wanted as the default system to boot into or the delay to be applied. Does it matter that this machine has this joint booting facility?

Sorry if I seem a bit thick but I am in my mid 80's which I think is a good excuse

Beans
    Distro

Live mode is Try Ubuntu. It has terminal included, just open the Dashboard and search for it. You can search for any application in the search line. Click on the ubuntu logo (first icon) and search for what ever you want.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Was positive I had already tried that but I couldn't have as it was so available. I tried your suggestion and got the following result

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install /dev/sda6 /mnt
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package /dev
    E: Unable to locate package
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

I wondered whether I also needed to use commands like ch-root or something to get to the installed version (would I need a designers password?)

Have been doing some research and also wondered whether my problem is tied up with UEFI and Acer. This is the article have been looking at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI Need to make sure it is the up-to-date version- the one which on the last page says last updated 25.4.2013

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, my mistake. I was probably thinking of something else.

That first command should be:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt
    PS EDIT: Fixed the /dev/sda5 error.
    Last edited by darkod; May 13th, 2013 at 09:02 PM.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast