Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Power problems with new kernel

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    88

    Power problems with new kernel

    Hi, I recently installed Ubuntu 13.04 on my Thinkpad T430 (Ubuntu Gnome, actually, but the DE is immaterial). It was a clean install, wiping my old one. Shortly after installing, the updater recommended system upgrades. One of the things installed was a kernel update, 3.8.0-19-generic. I don't remember which kernel was there before, but the original one didn't have any of the problems I'm about to mention.

    The first thing I noticed with the new kernel was that power usage was up. At idle, it consumed 1 - 2 more watts, which on my machine is about a 15 - 30% increase. The CPU temperature at idle was also up by 5 - 10 degrees, and the fan was running constantly. Additionally, I couldn't get hibernate to work.

    I ended up installing the kernel that worked well on Quantal, 3.5.0-28-generic. This has solved all these problems. Power usage, CPU temperature, and fan usage are all back down to what I was seeing before the upgrade.

    So I guess I have a couple questions. First, is anyone else having similar problems? Second, should I report this as a bug, and, if so, where? I'm not sure if the problem is specific only to my hardware, but Thinkpads are supposed to be well supported. I also don't know what I would report, because I don't know specifically what is causing the problems. However, I don't want to have to be stuck on an older kernel for all of eternity if this isn't fixed.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    110

    Re: Power problems with new kernel

    Same with me but am running a hp pavilion m6. I was very happy with the temp decreases with the kernel with the original install of raring but the newer kernel has the temps back to the 3.5.0-28 higher levels. Not quite the same problem, but similar.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    88

    Re: Power problems with new kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post
    Same with me but am running a hp pavilion m6. I was very happy with the temp decreases with the kernel with the original install of raring but the newer kernel has the temps back to the 3.5.0-28 higher levels. Not quite the same problem, but similar.
    Yeah, seems like a slightly different problem, because the kernel I went back to is actually 3.5.0-28, which works fine for me.

    Is it just me or does it seem like new kernels are coming out at a ridiculously fast pace the last year? I'd prefer them to come out less frequently and do more testing to make sure there aren't regressions like this.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    110

    Re: Power problems with new kernel

    Linus and his crew seem to be working overtime. We can only hope that items affecting us are not beling missed because of the release schedule. Also, have you tried tlp for temperature management. It has made a notable lowering of my four cpu temps.
    Last edited by ferd; May 3rd, 2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Added info

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    88

    Re: Power problems with new kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post
    Linus and his crew seem to be working overtime. We can only hope that items affecting us are not beling missed because of the release schedule. Also, have you tried tlp for temperature management. It has made a notable lowering of my four cpu temps.
    Yes, I have been using that since Jupiter went away. The problems I mentioned were with TLP running. It probably would have been worse without it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    88

    Re: Power problems with new kernel

    There was a new update to Ubuntu base today which installed kernel 3.8.0-21-generic. The power problems appear to be fixed (for me) on this newer kernel, FYI.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    110

    Re: Power problems with new kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by montag dp View Post
    There was a new update to Ubuntu base today which installed kernel 3.8.0-21-generic. The power problems appear to be fixed (for me) on this newer kernel, FYI.
    Unfortunately, it has had the opposite effect for me. The temperature increase in about twenty five degrees fahrenheit.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    88

    Re: Power problems with new kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post
    Unfortunately, it has had the opposite effect for me. The temperature increase in about twenty five degrees fahrenheit.
    That's too bad. There was another update recently to 3.8.0-22 and unfortunately the power problems seem to be back, so I removed it and went back to 3.8.0-21 for now. It's kind of annoying how these things happen.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Beans
    3,136
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Power problems with new kernel

    Hi montag dp.

    If you do choose to file a bug report, the DE, and graphics hardware "is" important.

    Thanks.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    14,822
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Power problems with new kernel

    The 3.8 kernel also has the same heating issue with my gateway.

    I am currnetly booting the older 3.5 kernel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •