Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i think ubuntu is not a good OS for programmer

Beans

i think ubuntu is not a good OS for programmer

i dont think ubuntu is a good OS for programmer,i would rather to choose Centos or windows xp,what do you think?

Beans

Re: i think ubuntu is not a good OS for programmer

Quote Originally Posted by flashmanblack View Post
    i dont think ubuntu is a good OS for programmer,i would rather to choose Centos or windows xp,what do you think?
    I think you need to learn how to code and learn about your OS.

Peace
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

programming technique is OS independent, its the same on paper as it is on computer
    as for OS, its a personal flavor, i find programming in windows very cumbersome nowadays, but when i was blissfully unaware of linux, windows was all that i used....

remember its not the linux distro that matters, or any OS, its just a personal taste, programming is same everywhere (to a very large extent, some exceptions always exist).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It really depends on what operating system feels best for you. For me, Ubuntu is both comfortable to use and yet gives you ample opportunity to learn the technical side of Linux nonetheless. Ubuntu may favor the end user more than the geek, but the power user can benefit too if they choose to learn the in and outs. What's more, the ubuntu terminal is no different from that of other Linux distros.
    John J. Kim (IRC: kotux)
    High School Senior / Ubuntu User # 35405
    www.launchpad.net/~kotux
    "Let your performance do the thinking." --Charlotte Bronte

Beans

Ubuntu is fine for programming. Don't forget: it's built on top of Debian. The advantages of using something like CentOS are a) for learning CentOS/Red Hat b) stability c) developing a site in the same environment it will be hosted on, if your hosting provider uses CentOS.

It will tend to have older versions of software (PHP and MySQL, for example) but that's a good thing if your site will be hosted on a similarly old server. That said, in recent memory I've installed NetBeans 7.2 (from the NetBeans site), the latest VirtualBox (from the VB site) and even had Enterprise Architect running in wine but you might need 6.4 for a good enough wine.

However, c) can apply to Ubuntu and b) can apply if you use an LTS. Ubuntu is also used as a server in the real world and can even help you learn Debian. So that's a) too, then.

What's nice about CentOS is that I'm always conscious it's a tool and so just get on with work with it. In fact, I haven't even bothered to customise my current CentOS box, not even a wallpaper, yet my website is complete. I just need to wait for the domain name to activate and everything will be dandy.

But there's nothing wrong with Ubuntu for programming. Of course, it's Linux so it's good for developing web stuff and for other Linux. If you're developing software to be installed on Windows and OS X boxes, you might do better to look elsewhere. Macs are probably a better bet for hedging your bets though, as you can develop comfortably for all three, as well as iOS and Android. Plus more people will want to be your friend if you have a Mac. No, really.
    Last edited by iamkuriouspurpleoranj; May 12th, 2013 at 06:28 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Moved to Programming Talk.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by flashmanblack View Post
    i dont think ubuntu is a good OS for programmer
    Wise guy.

Try Gentoo if you like rolling releases and fine tuning everything. Otherwise any well-known distro with a sane DE will do (e.g. Debian with Xfce).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Windows is not a good OS, overall at least. While Windows was great up to and including Windows 7 (excluding Vista, of course), Windows 8 destroyed every good thing windows had left. But the main, most frustrating problem with Windows is this little bastard called Trusted Installer, which prevents you from having complete control over your own computer. I paid $60 for my OS, shouldn't I have complete control? Bill Gates doesn't think so.

To tell the truth, the lack of gaming on Linux is the only force tethering me to Windows right now, and even that reason is withering away as Steam and its games are coming to Linux.
    Last edited by King Dude; May 12th, 2013 at 08:25 PM.

Beans

for me ubuntu is a very comfortable os.
    switched to fluxbox recently now have more free mem as with unity

You've heard of comparing apples to oranges, but for programming purposes comparing different Linux distros is like comparing a Granny Smith apple to a slightly greener Granny Smith apple. They all work the same way and any particular version of a piece of software, be it an IDE, compiler, editor, debugger, whatever, will behave identically on all of them, assuming you can install it. And for all practical purposes there's no reason to aggressively update your development tools like you would a browser or anything that handles untrusted and potentially malicious data.

Pick any Linux distro you like, or pick Windows if you want to write programs for Windows specifically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast