Thread: ftp localhost (laptop) using filezilla /var/www directory - permission problems?

Beans

Unhappy ftp localhost (laptop) using filezilla /var/www directory - permission problems?

Problems accessing my laptop as localhost using ftp... filezilla... /var/www directory

I would like to update my applications in /var/www using files from my home directory...

ls -l /var/www shows me the following permissions:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 eranariel www-data 242 Apr 8 21:32 index.html~
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 eranariel www-data 20 Apr 7 19:55 info.php
    drwxrwxr-x 6 eranariel www-data 4096 Apr 11 08:39 op
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 eranariel www-data 21 Apr 7 20:07 phpmyadmin -> /usr/share/phpmyadmin
    drwxrwsr-x 14 eranariel www-data 4096 Apr 8 16:48 zencart

However, I am uncertain as to the granted permissions in this directory...Filezilla only responds to user name “anonymous” on localhost – accordingly, anonymous does not have permissions to edit or upload anything to var/www.

I tried my Ubuntu administrator login and password, however, all I get is “not connected to any server”
    I am not sure what I did, however, previously, I was receiving an error 553 which is supposed to be permissions related.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Eran

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: ftp localhost (laptop) using filezilla /var/www directory - permission problems?

Since you have FileZilla, you could try SFTP. At least that way you'll be making secure transfers rather than broadcasting your user name and password all over the net.

About the directory permissions. If you are the only user of /var/www, then it is enough to chown it. www-data should not own anything and not be one of the groups.

Code:

sudo chown -R eranarie:eranarie /var/www
    If there are others you will share the directory with, then you will need to use groups for the permissions.

Beans

Re: ftp localhost (laptop) using filezilla /var/www directory - permission problems?

Why are you using FTP to move around files on your local machine?

/var/www is owned and writeable by root only by default.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to Server Platforms.

Beans

the user name and password are on my localhost laptop behind NAT... thanks so much for your assistance... I'll give this an attempt to see how it goes...

Eran

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Why are you using FTP to move around files on your local machine?

/var/www is owned and writeable by root only by default.

I am using filezilla, as to manage the method in which I upload and edit files and directories - I just "drag-and-drop" from one window in the the other and vice-versa, wheres the former window would list my /var/www directory and the former would list a directory located on my desktop in which my revised files are contained.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by eranariel View Post
    I am using filezilla, as to manage the method in which I upload and edit files and directories - I just "drag-and-drop" from one window in the the other and vice-versa, wheres the former window would list my /var/www directory and the former would list a directory located on my desktop in which my revised files are contained.
    This still doesn't make any sense. You should be able to copy paste with Nautilus (if this is the desktop OS), or simply use cp on the command line (if you have CLI only server OS).

From the ls -l you posted, you seem to be the owner of the folder/files in /var/www, so using Nautilus or cp should be fine.

Like you said yourself, Filezilla is allowing only anonymous login which doesn't have rights on /var/www. You are only complicating it if you insist on using Filezilla. Besides, if you insist on using ftp client to copy files, you have to have ftp server running on the other end. Do you?

It doesn't work simply like that. For ftp client to conenct and authorize a user, there has to be ftp server listening on the other end.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    This still doesn't make any sense. You should be able to copy paste with Nautilus (if this is the desktop OS), or simply use cp on the command line (if you have CLI only server OS).

From the ls -l you posted, you seem to be the owner of the folder/files in /var/www, so using Nautilus or cp should be fine.

Like you said yourself, Filezilla is allowing only anonymous login which doesn't have rights on /var/www. You are only complicating it if you insist on using Filezilla. Besides, if you insist on using ftp client to copy files, you have to have ftp server running on the other end. Do you?

It doesn't work simply like that. For ftp client to conenct and authorize a user, there has to be ftp server listening on the other end.
    You are correct, I can use the Nautilus... I initially started by installing vsftpd in conjunction with filezilla. From that point, I chowned the relevant /var/www directory...filezilla as my ftp client. I was able to access the ftp server via the shell but unable to access the ftp server via filezilla.From that point, I uninstalled both, vsftpd and filezilla, and then reinstalled only filezilla, which succesfully accessed my localhost using "anonymous" but with limited privaledges..

However, for the record, it would be interesting to know what caused this configuration to function in the mannerr that it did...

Thanks again for your assistance and godspeed...

Eran
    Last edited by eranariel; May 3rd, 2013 at 01:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Without vsftpd there is no ftp service active and listening to requests. I guess that's why filezilla gives only some limited anonymous access.

As for why it didn't work with vsftpd and filezilla client, I don't know. One reason could be that vsftpd was set only for secure access, something like SSL, etc, which is the recommended way, but you were connecting with filezilla to the normal ftp port 21. If you have FTPS (secure) only running on the server, the ftp client would not connect on the standard non-secure ftp port.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit