Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching back to Ubuntu from LM14

Beans

Switching back to Ubuntu from LM14

Hey all, so, I started using Linux in 2005 with Ubuntu as my first distro. It's evolved quite a bit since then. Some people argue that Ubuntu and Canonical has lost it's way recently as it diverges into phones, tablets, and what not. People say Ubuntu is bloated now. And the truth is I honestly don't care what those people think! I'm presently using Linux Mint 14, which as many will know is a derivative of Ubuntu 12. I'm somewhat intrigued by the idea of making the switch from Mint back to Ubuntu. I was kinda wondering if I could perhaps be convinced to make the switch back to Ubuntu. Sell it to me, as it were, because it's either Ubuntu or Arch at this point, and I'm honestly teetering on the precipice of going back to Ubuntu.

Help me push me over!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Switching back to Ubuntu from LM14

Quote Originally Posted by miho View Post
    Hey all, so, I started using Linux in 2005 with Ubuntu as my first distro. It's evolved quite a bit since then. Some people argue that Ubuntu and Canonical has lost it's way recently as it diverges into phones, tablets, and what not. People say Ubuntu is bloated now. And the truth is I honestly don't care what those people think! I'm presently using Linux Mint 14, which as many will know is a derivative of Ubuntu 12. I'm somewhat intrigued by the idea of making the switch from Mint back to Ubuntu. I was kinda wondering if I could perhaps be convinced to make the switch back to Ubuntu. Sell it to me, as it were, because it's either Ubuntu or Arch at this point, and I'm honestly teetering on the precipice of going back to Ubuntu.

Help me push me over!
    Me, 8 years Ubuntu and just switched to Mint 14 Cinnamon. Love Ubuntu, love Mint... So there it is man, it's all personal preference. Nothing wrong or more right with either.
    Warprunner
    This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.
    ...Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

Beans

There is definitely nothing wrong with either.

Beans
    Distro

There is definitely nothing wrong with either.

Oh, HAHAHAHAH Miho, just trying to stir it up eh?
    Warprunner

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

There is no difference aside from the default DE so if you don't have strong opinion about the DE one way or the other it is basically the same thing. Don't know what the fuss is about.

Beans

Ubuntu is basically a version of Linux Mint that removes Duckduckgo one month later, which Richard Stallman is apparently using to spy on Debian. Otherwise, they are 100% exactly the same and only billionaire Linux Mint magnate Clément Lefèbvre can tell them apart.

Arch is ok. It's solid as a rock and almost as stable as Ubuntu. You can even install a desktop environment if you like but then it becomes a rolling release and will turn into Fedora if you get it wet or update your system after midnight, so I wouldn't recommend it. In any case, all the latest packages including Gimp 2.10 run via the command line, so I'd just stick with that. It's minimalism. It's where it's at. It's the Arch Way, baby.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Whatever your drinking...i'll have a double

Beans

I installed Ubuntu 13.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I installed Ubuntu 13.04.
    Good Move

Hope you enjoy it...i am finding it to be fast, stable and really a pleasure to use and very polished and attractive (so many improvements in unity too)...I like linux mint too and in fact use to use it quite a bit...but in more recent times i have swung back to ubuntu...I wasn't crazy about ubuntu's old 2 panels with fan out apps menu it had (which prompted me to move to mint) but since unity, i really love it now....with the unity dock and global menu and the dash search, it just feels so "mac-like" now and i also like macs (after dumping windows i used macs for about a year before discovering linux)....

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Good Move

Hope you enjoy it...i am finding it to be fast, stable and really a pleasure to use and very polished and attractive (so many improvements in unity too)...I like linux mint too and in fact use to use it quite a bit...but in more recent times i have swung back to ubuntu...I wasn't crazy about ubuntu's old 2 panels with fan out apps menu it had (which prompted me to move to mint) but since unity, i really love it now....with the unity dock and global menu and the dash search, it just feels so "mac-like" now and i also like macs (after dumping windows i used macs for about a year before discovering linux)....
    I never thought I'd say it but I kinda miss the Dash in Ubuntu 12-13. But my issue with them were that I just couldn't be as quick with them even after a year. So I thought I'd try Mint Cinnamon. Very happy with it and my speed is back up. It's just a learning curve I suppose. What I didn't want to do is get completely away from Ubuntu...hence me going to Mint.

I have to agree with you about the Mac-like facade of it all. Glad you said it because I too thought it.
    Warprunner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast