Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wifi won't connect on 13.04 with BCM 4313

Beans

Wifi won't connect on 13.04 with BCM 4313

I have a Lenovo E530 with the BCM 4313 wireless controller. I was running 12.10 and had no wifi issues after installing the additional driver (Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver source from bcmwl-kernel-source). After upgrading to 13.04 my wifi will no longer connect. I tried purging and reinstalling the driver with no luck. I have searched pretty thoroughly and have not found a solution, although it looks like this is a 13.04 problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by bagelong; May 14th, 2013 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Problem resumed

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Wifi won't connect on 13.04 with BCM 4313

hi, give this a read...
    the varunendra fix.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12629619
    *post #31
    Craving anchovy, herring and squid pizza.....with clam sauce

Beans

I got through step 7 and all seemed to be going well, but something didn't go right when I began to put in the commands in the terminal for step 8. Now, I no longer have any active wifi. I am sorry for my noobness on this, but was I supposed to exit the directory before step 8, because I did not. Also, at "cp wl.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless" I wasn't sure whether `uname -r` was supposed to be put into the command line or if I was supposed to insert something specific to my system there.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi, if you got the wl.ko file then you were fine.,
    the 'uname -r' inserts your current kernel version
    so that is correct...leave it as uname -r
    doest sound like you messed anything up and
    you could probably begin again at step 8 and be fine.
    keep us posted.
    thanks.

Beans

Okay, I'll try again from scratch.

Beans
    Hidden!

please verify your correct bit rate...32 or 64 so that
    you download the needed file....to see what you have
    please do..
    Code:
    arch
    then..once you load the correct version
    at step 8...just copy and paste the commands
    to avoid possible typos
    good luck.

Beans

SUCCESS!! I think I was just being impatient, and for some reason, the process took a little bit of time to complete behind the scenes. I am not exactly sure what we just did, but whatever changes we made to the driver seem to have worked. Thanks so much for your time. Hope this will help some others as well.

Beans
    Hidden!

Awesome ! glad it worked, i;m sure Varunendra will
    be pleased as well.
    take the time to mark this thread SOLVED
    so it will help others.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bagelong View Post
    SUCCESS!! I think I was just being impatient, and for some reason, the process took a little bit of time to complete behind the scenes.
    For the driver building process and the update of initramfs, 2-4 minutes are normal depending on system configuration. Could be more on slower systems, but the main thing to notice is messages on the screen. Warnings can usually be safely ignored, but 'Errors' are something that should be reported back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadaka View Post
    Awesome ! glad it worked, i;m sure Varunendra will
    be pleased as well.
    No doubt it raised my BP, because the solution is still experimental for me. As such, I'd be very pleased if it proved to be both stable and performing nicely.

@bagelong,
    Thanks for the feedback! However, it'll be really helpful for us and many more possibly following the solution if you could keep the wireless on test-bed for a couple of days, then post back if it proved to be stable. Of course post back immediately if you face any more problems. We are ready to dig more if required, although I wish we don't have to.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

A couple of things came up when I put the string of commands into the terminal. I did the whole process three times (steps 1-8), so I finally got pretty proficient at it. Each time, at step 8, when I copied and pasted the whole block of commands, I got a message that my password was incorrect at the "sudo su" step, even though I know it was correct. When I put the password in again, it was accepted and would progress past this step. I thought the process was stopping a few times, so I would repeat the last command. In retrospect, I think it was just taking longer than I thought it would. For some reason, it seemed to hang the longest at the "exit" step. At one point, I repeatedly tried to exit the terminal, thinking I was done, and I got the message that a process was still running in the terminal. Anyway, I think the moral to the story is to be patient, and let the process complete.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast