Thread: 8.10 Lock Screen as Root does not..

Beans

Exclamation 8.10 Lock Screen as Root does not..

I know I should not, and there may be another way, but I have had occasion to do things as Root having enabled it under the 'Login Window' rather than using my 'starter' account and Sudo.

Under the 'starter' account if I click on the/my username and 'Lock Screen' the display turns to black and then when I come back and waggle the mouse about then I am asked for my password.

If I am logged in as Root then clicking on 'Lock Screen' turns the display to black but when I waggle the mouse I am returned to what I was doing without being asked for a password.

I have applied a password to Root.

Shouldn't I be able to Lock a Root session, being slightly more dangerous, in the same way I can for a normal user?

Thanks

Keith

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 8.10 Lock Screen as Root does not..

YOu could do CTRL + ALT + L

This will lock the screen and activate the screen saver. It is similar to running Windows Key + L in Windows XP or Vista.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nxion View Post
    YOu could do CTRL + ALT + L
    No. It doesn't work for root account. CTRL + ALT + L only works for non root user accounts.
    Any other workaround ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Two things.

Ancient thread. Therefore closed.

The OP appears to have enabled the root account in order to log into a GUI as root. This is not supported here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1486138

Our "line in the sand" is with tutorials or posts that show people how to LOG IN to a graphical desktop (gnome, KDE, etc) as root. This is completely inappropriate and unnecessary.
    And by extension we do not support anything to do with functionality of a root owned GUI session. As the policy link says: "This is completely inappropriate and unnecessary."
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.