Thread: PDF in Chromium

Beans

PDF in Chromium

Hello there. Everytime I try to open a PDF link, Chromium downloads it (without asking) instead of just opening it in a new tab. How can I fix this?
    This happens with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, using Chromium. Evince is the default pdf reader.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: PDF in Chromium

DownloadsDownload location: Change...
    Ask where to save each file before downloading
    You have chosen to open certain file types automatically after downloading.

To get to downloads, click on the 3 bars on the far right, then click advanced settings. You will have to set PDFs to open automatically, but once you do they will open automatically after downloading.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sounds like what you are looking for is to have Chromium itself open the PDF like Firefox and Chrome. The PDF viewer is included because of distribution restricts. I did find this though on a Google search,

Mozilla's PDF.js is included in Chromium Portable as of v26.0.1410.5, so Google's PDF viewer is not necessary anymore. You will have to enable PDF.js in chrome://extensions on the first post-update run, though.

I don't use Chromium but give it a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by vdubeau View Post
    Sounds like what you are looking for is to have Chromium itself open the PDF like Firefox and Chrome. The PDF viewer is included because of distribution restricts. I did find this though on a Google search,

Mozilla's PDF.js is included in Chromium Portable as of v26.0.1410.5, so Google's PDF viewer is not necessary anymore. You will have to enable PDF.js in chrome://extensions on the first post-update run, though.

I don't use Chromium but give it a try.
    Source please!

Edit: http://crportable.sourceforge.net/ seems to be an MS Windows thing?
    Last edited by vasa1; May 3rd, 2013 at 03:32 AM.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    To get to downloads, click on the 3 bars on the far right, then click advanced settings. You will have to set PDFs to open automatically, but once you do they will open automatically after downloading.
    A couple of people here mocked me when I posted about the demise of the Wrench.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The problem is that Chromium doesn't come with the PDF plugin by default, so you need to "steal" the plugin from Google Chrome and give it to Chromium.

Code:
    wget https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
    sudo cp /opt/google/chrome/libpdf.so /usr/lib/chromium-browser/
    sudo apt-get purge google-chrome-stable
    rm google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
    Now restart Chromium, go to "about:plugins" (just put it in the URL bar and press enter) and enable the PDF viewer from there.

That's basically how you transfer any plugin from Chrome to Chromium.
    The whole thing is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life.
    ~Sigmund Freud