Thread: Struggling with AMD ATI Graphics Issues

Beans

Struggling with AMD ATI Graphics Issues

I desperately need help. I started out with ubuntu all starry eyed - and am now ready to pull those damn eyes out!!

The Problem:
    Can't seem to get the desktop on 12.10 server working properly. Issues have been reported before in the many threads I read. Have tried many of the suggested solution - but to no avail. I'm able to log into the ubuntu-desktop and see the sidebar. But the screen flickers a lot. Computer is terribly slow. Dashboard won't open. If I click on the icon (the first one at the top of the sidebar) - I can see the "title bar" with the icons on the upper left (i.e the close, minimize & maximize) and any other window open goes out of focus - but the dash itself won't open. The reason I was trying to open the dash is that I have followed the instructions on the NoobsLab website - about installting some AMD Catalyst Driver Installation Application. All steps went on fine (I followed those steps before I installed the ubuntu-desktop) only that I cannot get into the dash to start the application.

Informatioin that you may need for diagnosis:
    1) I installed the Ubuntu Server 12.10 amd64 build downloaded from the ubuntu website via usb disk. Its the only OS installed on my comp.
    2) uname -a give shows the following:
    Linux 635NDR 3.5.0-28-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 23 23:03:38 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    3) Kernet Version:
    cat /etc/lsb-release
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.10
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=quantal
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.10"

4) lspci | grep VGA output is:
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS480 [Radeon Xpress 200G Series]

5) find /dev -group video output is:
    /dev/fb0
    /dev/dri/card0
    /dev/dri/controlD64

6) Xorg currently in use via the egrep -i "connected|card detect|primary dev" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

[ 23.372] (II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-0 connected
    [ 23.372] (II) RADEON(0): Output DVI-0 disconnected
    [ 23.372] (II) RADEON(0): Output S-video disconnected

7) Amout This computer on Ubuntu Desktop start button menu options shows the following:
    AMD Athlon 64 Bit (3000) Processor
    1GB Ram
    80 GB HDD
    Graphics: Unknown

8) The motherboard itself is a Kobian Mercury KAM48219 whose specific info can be googled

Please, please, please advise - what can I do????

I've installed and re-installed the system over 4 times. Had another major issue - everytime I re-installed - I had to opt for erasing the partition (otherwise it would additionally install one more ubuntu and also would fail while trying to install packages). To erase the 80GB drive - the installation process seemed to take more than 4-5 hours. I dont understand this either????

Eagerly looking forward to the communities help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Struggling with AMD ATI Graphics Issues

Hello!

Your card is very old and is not supported by any current ATI driver. The driver that would support it will not work with any version of X Server after late 2008/early 2009.

Give me a bit to look at the instructions you followed and see if I can get you back to the default Radeon driver you were using when you installed Ubuntu.

Regards.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

EDIT: Wait!

I didn't see that you can't get to the application, so it's not installed. Good thing. Your card is too old.

When you log in, what sort of session are you choosing on the login screen?
    Last edited by QIII; May 2nd, 2013 at 08:05 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

When I log in - I don't get any sessions to choose from. I just get the big orange-ish desktop screen with the login option on the left. I choose the username and type in the password. In an earlier attempt to install it - I had the dash opening up. Then I had installed XMBC via the installer. After that while logging in - I had the option of choosing either Ubuntu (Classic) or XMBC and then logging in. Is there any other information you need me to provide?

Is there any other GUI you suggest. I just need the basic graphics (since I'm not well versed to using linux via terminal). My idea is to use this as a server for XMBC, ZoneMinder, pfsense, etc...now really use this to do any form of logging in.

Thanks for the prompt response. Awaiting further updates!

Beans

Any suggestions folks?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Google can advise you how to turn off transparency in Unity (low graphics mode) which should make things faster. If that doesn't work well enough...

You could install Gnome Panel. When you log out and click your username, you will see an Ubuntu button next to the Password box. Click it and choose the Gnome Classic session.

This is for computers with no 3D capability. Your system has some 3D capability, but not much. Should be a perfect fit.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Now sure where I can find the "Ubuntu Button". See my screen shot attached. I don't have any such Ubuntu button. What can I do to get it? Can I just install GNome Classic? If so - how?
    Ubuntu Login Screen.jpg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

In the area you have blackened out, click on it and you should get the choice of what session to boot.

Beans

Hi gifford, thanks for your prompt reply. I blackened out only the login (full name). There was no options (Ubuntu Button) there. I don't think Gnome Classic is installed in Ubuntu Server 12.10 by default. I googled for instructions to install Gnome-Classic after you suggested the same and followed the instruction as listed in this link.

After that my login screen showed the Ubuntu Button you were referring to (See Ubuntu Login Screen 2.jpg). On clicking the button I got the options of Gnome Classic, Gnome Classic (No Effects) & Ubuntu (Default) - see Ubuntu Login Screen 3.jpg.

Am now trying the GNome Classic GUI. I will update on whether this has solved the speed & flickering problem on the system.
    Highly appreciate your responses
    .Ubuntu Login Screen 2.jpgUbuntu Login Screen 3.jpg