I desperately need help. I started out with ubuntu all starry eyed - and am now ready to pull those damn eyes out!!
Can't seem to get the desktop on 12.10 server working properly. Issues have been reported before in the many threads I read. Have tried many of the suggested solution - but to no avail. I'm able to log into the ubuntu-desktop and see the sidebar. But the screen flickers a lot. Computer is terribly slow. Dashboard won't open. If I click on the icon (the first one at the top of the sidebar) - I can see the "title bar" with the icons on the upper left (i.e the close, minimize & maximize) and any other window open goes out of focus - but the dash itself won't open. The reason I was trying to open the dash is that I have followed the instructions on the NoobsLab website - about installting some AMD Catalyst Driver Installation Application. All steps went on fine (I followed those steps before I installed the ubuntu-desktop) only that I cannot get into the dash to start the application.
Informatioin that you may need for diagnosis:
1) I installed the Ubuntu Server 12.10 amd64 build downloaded from the ubuntu website via usb disk. Its the only OS installed on my comp.
2) uname -a give shows the following:
Linux 635NDR 3.5.0-28-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 23 23:03:38 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
3) Kernet Version:
4) lspci | grep VGA output is:
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS480 [Radeon Xpress 200G Series]
5) find /dev -group video output is:
6) Xorg currently in use via the egrep -i "connected|card detect|primary dev" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[ 23.372] (II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-0 connected
[ 23.372] (II) RADEON(0): Output DVI-0 disconnected
[ 23.372] (II) RADEON(0): Output S-video disconnected
7) Amout This computer on Ubuntu Desktop start button menu options shows the following:
AMD Athlon 64 Bit (3000) Processor
80 GB HDD
8) The motherboard itself is a Kobian Mercury KAM48219 whose specific info can be googled
Please, please, please advise - what can I do????
I've installed and re-installed the system over 4 times. Had another major issue - everytime I re-installed - I had to opt for erasing the partition (otherwise it would additionally install one more ubuntu and also would fail while trying to install packages). To erase the 80GB drive - the installation process seemed to take more than 4-5 hours. I dont understand this either????
Eagerly looking forward to the communities help.