Thread: no "save" option for pdf files

Beans

Angry no "save" option for pdf files

OK today, I attempted to download my bank statements. They are pdf files. When I clicked on them they automatically opened without any "save" option. I came back to Ubuntu from Linux Mint where I had no problems doing so. Since I do a lot of photo work, and video I chose Ubuntu Studio because it had more options. Now I can't do simple things like download my bank statements. In mint when I clicked on a pdf file it always gave me the options of "open" or "save file" . Now in Ubuntu it simply opens the file with no save option. Likewise under right click, the only option I have to save it is by "printing". I normally print to pdf. This is not not possible. ( I tried, but it simply goes through the motions, and nothing results ).

I need my bank statements! Do I have to switch back to Mint, just to download pdf's?

Beans

Re: no "save" option for pdf files

If this is in FireFox and it opens the pdf automatically all you have to do is look in that same window on the dark grey topbar. There is a icon with a arrow pointing downwards, that's the save option.
    If that doesn't work, try Chromium browser to download the pdf files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio Development Release

Firefox has a builtin pdf reader since 13.04. As DarkEra stated, you need to save the pdf manually.

Beans

OK, this was some time ago. I don't remember how I solved my problem, but I did it on my own. Now I just updated Firefox, and am having the same problem once again.

What I am talking about is when you are viewing something on a webpage. You can "print" or "Print to File" in either script or pdf format. Suddenly what is happening ( as it did before ) I go through the motions, and it says where to save the file etc. I hit print, it goes thru the motions, but then there is no saved file! Anybody understand what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about saving pdf files off the internet.. I'm talking about creating pdf files off the internet by "printing to file"! My bank only gives the option to save statements in Microsoft Money. So I normally print my statement right off the bank page as a pdf file. I could understand if the option was not there, but it still is.I'ts just not working.

I wish I could show a screen print, but the drop down menus do not print. So let me try to explain. You go to File, click on it you get a drop down menu, toward the bottom it says "print menu" and below that "print". Well I can use the print menu option and I see the layout of the page with all the information. I then try to Print as pdf to my desktop. It says "printing" and then the page disappears. when I go to my desktop, or whatever other folder I tried. The pdf file is not there!

----one other thing I have noticed about this update. There is also no "search" option for the files on my computer. I can only do it manually by opening each folder and looking for a file. When I have tons of files stored, this really becomes a problem.
    Last edited by KWS48; July 1st, 2013 at 07:39 PM.