Thread: Trouble rebinding close window key to <CTRL> + q

Beans

[SOLVED]: Trouble rebinding close window key to <CTRL> + q

I'm trying to bind <CTRL> + q to close active windows the way <Alt> + F4 is set up to by default. I'm using the unity interface and use Compiz Config Setting Manager (CCSM) to change some other bindings.

I've tryed to use Compiz Config Setting Manager (CCSM) General Options>Keybindings to change the close window binding to <CTRL> + q but I've had no luck. It will allow me to input the new binding but when I close the manager the new binding doesn't work. I return the CCSM to find the binding has changed back.

I've also tried setting in the keyboard>application shortcuts a number of different commands which haven't worked yet.

Is there anything I can do or try to make the <CTRL> + q to function the way <ALT> + F4 does by default installation?

I'm running 12.04 LTS
    Last edited by tabruhn; May 5th, 2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Mark as solved

Re: Trouble rebinding close window key to <CTRL> + q

moved to AB.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Perhaps there are some better ways to approach this problem? Do you any of you have advice to make a consistent close window button? For me it is not acceptable to have to continually guess between <ctrl> w, <ctrl> q , <ctrl> q + shift ...etc .... need a more consistent solution but to use <Alt> f4 requires <alt> <function> <f4> .. too spread out. Please, if you have any advice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There is a "Close window" keybinding in System Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Windows. Try changing it to CTRL+q.

Beans

I appreciate the suggestion but I wasn't able to get it to work. I was able to make the change and it appears as my binding in the menu but when I try to use it in chromium, document viewer, nautilus, etc. it doesn't appear to be working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If that doesn't work you may try a workaround. Install wmctrl and set a custom keyboard shortcut to:
    Code:
    wmctrl -c :ACTIVE:
    bind it to <CTRL> + q and it should work.

Beans

It worked! Thanks a million!