Thread: gparted partition manager

Beans

gparted partition manager

Greetings-
    I just installed a new larger hard drive on my xp machine, and moved the MyDocuments folder to the new drive. But I like to move more files to free up space on the old hard drive. Can i do this with GParted? I really don't want to make the new hard drive primary unless I have to or there is a good reason to do that. My old hard drive is 120 Gig, and the new one is 1/2 Tera Bytes. I would be happy if I could free up another 40 Gig or so.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: gparted partition manager

You don't move files with gparted, but you could make a data partition for them.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...ch&cof=FORID:9

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

It's generally a bad idea to use Linux filesystem utilities on Windows filesystems. While they often work OK, they do sometimes fail -- and when they do, they leave the Windows filesystem in a corrupted state.

If you need to do partitioning changes on a Windows filesystem, then Google for, download, and create a CD using the Minitool Partition Wizard CD. It is free and will be able to do all the Windows filesystem partitioning work you need.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Like other have mention it best to use Gparted to setup the drive partitions but I would use like Grsync to move data from one partition to another.
    Michael Nelson -=- AKA: Mopar1973Man

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Can't you just cut and paste the files, or copy and paste to the new drive, and then delete them from the older one? Unless there is a different OS on each drive. If so I just boot into a live cd and move or copy the files I want, and then reboot to the hard drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

As far as I know I've had no problem copy and pasting between Windows and Linux.
    Michael Nelson -=- AKA: Mopar1973Man

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

You got your answer on Gparted.. it's not for file-migration. As for simply copying the files, I've been using Windows7 and Ubuntu together for years, often cross-saving files between OS's, and there have not been any problems (even with an NTFS data partition). I still make sure to save important documents in a place they won't be written to by a non-native program, but that's starting to seem like out-of-date paranoia.
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot