Thread: Monitor goes into power saving mode right before desktop loads

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation Monitor goes into power saving mode right before desktop loads

Hello Everyone,

Can someone give me some direction on a problem I'm having? This has happened on multiple distros (Fedora, XUbuntu) and even on an emergency install of Windows XP. I'm baffled.

Right before the desktop loads, the system kicks my monitor into power saving mode and goes no further. There is no way to wake the monitor up. If I load the os in BASIC VIDEO mode, it works fine. I suspect this has something to do with the system asking for a resolution this AOC 17" monitor doesn't support but I don't know how to stop it from doing so, if it is indeed that. Alternately, how to I make Xububtu load in basic video mode?

On Fedora 14 (the only distro I could actually get to load) it's showing my monitor as an "Unknown Monitor" with a resolution of 1280x768 and a refresh rate of 0 (which I assume just means default or "unknown".

Can anyone help me figure this out?

[UPDATE]: I was able to get the system to boot to the installer by eenabling the nomodeset parameter. However, now, I am stuck at the "Installation Type" screen. It 'acts' like it's going to start the install, then falls back to the 'Installation type' screen and won't allow me to go further.

Thanks!
    Anthony
    Last edited by papillion; May 2nd, 2013 at 12:04 AM. Reason: added information