Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: USB stick automount not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: USB stick automount not working

Hi TheCog.

I'm still looking into this but i currently have the flu so progress is very slow.

I have not had many problems with my installs. Things just tend to work so it's nice to get my teeth into a problem.

Seeing if i can see any work around.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Urgh. I hope you get over the flu quickly.

I'm glad you like getting stuck into a problem, but don't put yourself out on my account.

Another snippet of info - I found a different USB stick, that seems to mount quite reliably on that laptop - 10/10 tries.
    So automount reliability changes with the same stick in different computers, and with different sticks in the same computer. It really, really feels like a timing issue/race condition.

Your avatar keeps looking at me in a rather disturbing way.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

I'm wondering if this is not a dbus issue.

Not sure if your still having the problem but if you are it may be worth monitoring the dbus messages.

If you open a terminal and type

Code:
    cd && dbus-monitor > dbus_gvfs.txt 2>&1
    Plug the device in and wait 10 seconds or so.

You may then want to post the file dbus_gvfs.txt.

It looks like a messages are getting sent but not received somewhere or they are not getting sent due to some condition.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I ran dbus-monitor and captured both a good and a bad insert. These are the two files:
    Good insert: http://pastebin.com/syxExBD2
    Failed insert: http://pastebin.com/aWeiGBDQ

In both cases, I waited until gigolo showed the drive, then stopped the trace before unplugging the stick. When the automount works, gigolo shows a tick in the connected checkbox.

I compared the files using meld, and can see what may be some significant differences.
    Lines 1709-1715, a couple of method calls happen in a different order.
    Line 2217, lots of stuff happens in the bad trace that doesn't happen in the good trace.
    Line 2321(good)/2399(bad), lots of stuff happening in the good trace that doesn't happen in the bad one.

A great deal of the stuff at 2217 in the bad trace happens later (2321) in the good trace, so again, things are largely the same but in a different order.
    I guess the devil is in the detail, and I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.

The 2>&1 wasn't needed. When I did "dbus-monitor > /dev/null", no error messages appeared on the screen while inserting/removing the stick.

Beans

I had the same problem with Xubuntu 12.04. The thumb drive would show up under /dev/sdc1, but would not automount. I tried the command listed here - gvfs-mount --list and got a message that it wasn't installed and I could get it by installing gvfs-bin. I did an apt-get on that package and it also installed gvfs gvfs-common gvfs-daemons and gvfs-libs. Once those packages were installed, I pulled the thumb drive out, put it back in, and voila, it automounted!

I think I removed some gvfs stuff a while back to resolve a bug where Thunar was extremely slow to open the first time and opened a second window when started. I'll have to see if that problem is back now.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There is a bug report which looks like it matches this problem:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...n/+bug/1090974

A workaround is included in the comments, but that workaround is reported to be effective only with pre-13.04 releases.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Or this bug report.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I have the same problem --- but worst, it normally doesn't automount anything. Try all the possible workaround. I have opened a bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1241811
    Have a nice day,
    Romano --- Linux user since 1989: first kernel 0.99pl8, Slackware distro (on 40 floppies! )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hello, I had the same issue. No drive or partition was mounting automatically on xubuntu. My problem was solved by running xfce4-settings-editor,navigating to thunar-volman and changing options automount-drives/enabled and automount-media/enabled to true. Maybe give it a try.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123