Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ultralight laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

ultralight laptop

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I am looking to purchase an ultralight laptop (considering a touch screen but not absolute necessity). I would like to discuss with people who have had experience installing ubuntu (dual boot preferable), including recommendations, warnings, etc.

If this is not the right forum, please redirect. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: ultralight laptop

Ultra book should be pretty light
    in general a ssd is lighter than a hdd
    if weight is important don't get one with a nvidia gpu, if it has a amd gpu be sure it has a APU and is not setup for crossfire
    budget?
    my current laptop feels light to me, much less than my old laptop that was 6.6lbs

I have dualbooted years ago, it got annoying maintaining to operating systems, i ditched windows after it got a virus via java while running chrome
    now i just have virtualboxes i have not booted in years
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What is your criteria? Only weight? How much linux experience do you have?

Toshiba Satellite Z930 13.3" Ultrabook - Silver (Intel Core i7-3667U / 256GB SSD /6GB RAM/Windows 8) - $999

Samsung XE303C12-A01CA 11.6" Chromebook - Silver (Samsung E5250 / 16GB SSD / 2GB RAM / Chrome OS) - $270

Samsung Series 9 15" Ultrabook - Silver (Intel Core i5-3317U / 128GB SSD / 4GB RAM / Windows 8) - $999

ASUS ZENBOOK UX32A 13.3" Ultrabook (Intel Core i5-3317U/ 24GB SSD/ 500GB HDD/ 6GB RAM) - $1040

Apple MacBook Air 11.6" Intel Core i5 1.7GHz 64 GB Laptop - $999

The list goes on, and on, and on - so much choice. Just go into the store and see which one you like.

I played with the Samsung Chromebook - its amazing! You can buy 3 of them instead of a $999 laptop. Just put a 64GB SD Card in it, load ubuntu with XFCE, and you're good to go. Even my big laptop doesn't have the things it has - dedicated volume keys, being able to scroll, right and left click with the touchpad. And that price...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks pqwoerituytrueiwoq andlayers!

Main criteria: 13' min screen, weight, price. Second considerations: processor,screen quality, battery. At the moment for the list above the only realistic candidate for me is the Toshiba (i3 - about 750 here in Australia). I am also looking into the acer s3 (also an i3 - approx. 700) but there is some complaint about Ubuntu running on it. Instead Mint seems to be the recommended distribution. I have quite a bit of experience with linux (particularly Ubuntu), but can't really call myself an expert. However, I don't have any qualms about fiddling a bit during the installation to make the distribution work. Would prefer to keep the dual boot with minimal Win 7/8 partition.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    if weight is important don't get one with a nvidia gpu, if it has a amd gpu be sure it has a APU and is not setup for crossfire
    budget?
    s
    Please tell us how a nvidia gpu makes a notebook heavier than one with a amd gpu/apu? Please, I would really like to know.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've also heard a lot about lenovo's

thinkpad X esries: http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/products/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/index.html

ideapad U series: http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/product...ies/index.html

I asked about your experience, because if let's say you get apple's laptop, would you be comfortable making it work. You would be.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Please tell us how a nvidia gpu makes a notebook heavier than one with a amd gpu/apu? Please, I would really like to know.
    IF it is a APU the gpu is integrated with the cpu, there would be no more weight than a Intel CPU
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    IF it is a APU the gpu is integrated with the cpu, there would be no more weight than a Intel CPU
    Never knew silicone was that heavy.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

if you have a seperate gpu the power requirements are greater so there you need more cooling so it will be a thicker unit to house additional metal for the heatsync

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast