Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Broadcom 4313, Ubuntu 13.04: Can see WIFI networks but not connect to them

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 Can see WIFI networks but not connect to them

Thank You!!!!
    I spent hours trying to figure that out. I'd offer you a beer for that!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiMazzini View Post
    Hadaka: I tried but no success.
    LuigiMazzini, can you please share with us at which step did you get an error and what was it? The suggested method is still an experimental one, but we already have seen it succeed on two fresh installations of 13.04.

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    Thank You!!!!
    I spent hours trying to figure that out. I'd offer you a beer for that!
    LuigiMazzini DonL, we'd really appreciate if you can disclose who is getting the beer, we won't ask for a share - promise!! (lying)

Ok, seriously, it helps a lot if you clearly state which method worked for you, because then others can try or suggest it to others with more confidence. Thanks for your feedback!
    Last edited by varunendra; May 6th, 2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: corrected name
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Varunendra, thanks for your reply.
    I'll give another try in next days and will report about how it goes. This time I decided to go from the beginig, including download and fresh install of 13.04. I'm sure we will get it working.

Beans

Re: Broadcom 4313, Ubuntu 13.04: Can see WIFI networks but not connect to them

The very first method in this thread worked for me - took a bit to get the file transferred over, but it worked like a charm!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mutated View Post
    The very first method in this thread worked for me - took a bit to get the file transferred over, but it worked like a charm!
    Thanks for your valuable feedback mutated. You mean the solution in post #3?
    Could you please also share with us which version of Ubuntu and which kernel version you succeeded at (uname -mr for kernel version)? Just to confirm.

Although I can see that the driver suggested in that post has been patched for kernel version 3.4 (and hopefully higher ones too), but I don't have 32 bit copy of 13.04 to test myself, so I'd appreciate your response. Thanks
    Varun

Beans
    Distro

Hi, please do not use large images, alot of people do not have a real fast connection and it creates problems for them to load pages.
    Thanks

Beans

Worked perfectly for me thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi,

this device normally runs with the free driver brcmsmac, only the firmware is missing:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -rfv wl
    sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source
    sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-bcm43.conf
    sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/broadcom-sta-common.conf
    sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/broadcom-sta-dkms.conf 
    wget media.cdn.ubuntu-de.org/forum/attachments/56/18/5007272-Broadcom_Firmware_070513.tar.gz
    sudo tar xvf 5007272-Broadcom_Firmware_070513.tar.gz -C /lib/firmware
    Shut down without any current source for 10 minutes and restart. Alternatively, the firmware can be downloaded via git:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install git
    git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git
    The needed files need to be copied from "linux-firmware" to /lib/firmware

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by praseodym View Post
    Hi,

this device normally runs with the free driver brcmsmac, only the firmware is missing:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -rfv wl
    sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source
    sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-bcm43.conf
    sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/broadcom-sta-common.conf
    sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/broadcom-sta-dkms.conf 
    wget media.cdn.ubuntu-de.org/forum/attachments/56/18/5007272-Broadcom_Firmware_070513.tar.gz
    sudo tar xvf 5007272-Broadcom_Firmware_070513.tar.gz -C /lib/firmware
    Shut down without any current source for 10 minutes and restart. Alternatively, the firmware can be downloaded via git:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install git
    git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git
    The needed files need to be copied from "linux-firmware" to /lib/firmware
    Posting to confirm this as a solution, and to thank all the posters in this thread. I learned a lot working on this problem, and I could not have solved this without this great community resource.
    Last edited by gdholly; January 15th, 2014 at 06:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Welcome to the forums gdholly !

Just so you know, this device should work out-of-box with kernel versions 3.8 and later. Everything required is already in the kernel, just make sure NOT to install the "wl" (or sta, or "bcmwl.." - same thing, different names) driver while or after installing. It (the "wl" driver) blacklists the native drivers to avoid conflicts, so they can't load while it is installed.

If you choose to "Install Updates" during installation, the "wl" driver automatically gets installed (if you are connected to internet) and often causes troubles afterwards with this card.

Even the kernel 3.2 series should work with the native brcmsmac driver, but its newer versions (in kernel 3.8 and later) are much better.
    Varun

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast