Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 Vs 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: 12.04 Vs 13.04

- and to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

If people dislike the privacy situation in Ubuntu then X/Lubuntu is worth trying.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Every new release has had terrible reviews from some users since I started using Ubuntu with 9.10. . I don't believe that those having problems are lying anymore than those having great success are. I happen to be on the success side with every version I have installed. Most mainstream computer hardware is sold by a limited number of companies so I guess the question is why such vastly different results after installing ?
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; May 25th, 2013 at 10:26 PM.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

I make a partition where I would test the new release for considerable time before moving my production system to it to avoid surprises of the bad kind. In my testing experience 13.04 actually works out very well, a lot faster than 12.04. I am now in the process of migrating over from 12.04.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 25th, 2013 at 10:23 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dave231153 View Post
    Just a quick update, everything works as it should in 12.04, all the problems I had in 13.04 have magically gone away and everything is hunky dory. I feel so sad that 13.04 is such a poor release and my faith in Ubuntu has been severely knocked, I feel sure that I am not alone, I have read many reviews online (which I should have done first!) which all say this is not a good release. To me this has done Ubuntu some serious damage, it reminds me of Vista for Windows, remember that piece of crap?

The Ubuntu deveopment team need to read the reviews of users and act on them swiftly. I am not sure a release every 6 months is still a good option, it was in the begining, but now this should be looked at with some insight and detail and get away from using Amazon (must be for money) as this is not what many Linux users want, we want a clean fast efficient system, nothing more or less.
    Ubuntu user here since 8.04. (I think I briefly used 9.04, but its been a while.)

Of course back then, I had no clue what I was doing, and quickly trashed the OS (well, at least I had no clue how to fix it other than re-install).

Ubuntu 10.04 was a rock solid, great system, I learnt a lot on it. But then I tried 11.04, then 11.10, and things seemed to get worse and worse. 12.04 got much better, and I was on 12.10 for a while; but honestly I got tired of things breaking every release, so now I stick with 12.04 and am pretty happy with things staying more or less the same (I still get security updates and new software).

Its not bad to try a quicker, more buggy release like 13.04 or 13.10, but you should bear in mind that it is a heavy duty learning experience if you've never done any linux distro before (users of Gentoo and Arch probably laugh at us here in Ubuntu-land quite regularly), but you are going to actually have to learn some basic sys admin skills. If you want reasonable stability, and you don't want to mess with odd things happening, just stick with an LTS. Or, better yet, after you gain those sys-admin skills, try running Debian - they support their releases for a LONG time (I think with backporting, the lifetime for a single release may be 10-15 years?)

Its for this reason that enterprise will often be using an "old" RedHat/Debian system - yes, every thing is ancient, but its ancient and usually rock solid.

Like I said, give 13.04 a chance, you can learn quite a bit by fixing your problems, but don't be surprised that things break. Donate more money to Ubuntu if you want more stringent testing

And just a quick roadmap of the breaks (read, awesome features in 5-10 years) coming;

- X11 is going the way of the dinosaur (finally). It works fine, but I'm honestly rather excited about Wayland and Mir. Of course, I don't want to touch them until they work reliably.
    - The System services/init scripts have been undergoing subtle changes. Again, I think this is great, exciting stuff, but expect to see more stuff break/more issues as we see more init.d scripts replaced by upstart/systemd
    - As you already know, Unity is the Great Schism of the linux UI community. This will become gradually more and more polished, but for now I'm sticking with a more stable traditional system i.e. KDE based on my favorite UI toolkit (Qt). Lubuntu/Xubuntu may fit your tastes as well.

I kinda think its awesome just even that 3D acceleration is such a standard feature on *nix desktop today, when it used to be mainly a fancy toy 5-6 years ago.
    Last edited by LordDelta; May 26th, 2013 at 04:09 AM.

Beans

I mean, I have 13.04 and my girlfriend uses 12.04. We live together, and both these machines are in the same room. I like a lot of the features that 13.04 has, I like the direction it's going (minus Amazon), but there is something to be said about my girlfriend repeating "For you having a more powerful computer, you sure do seem to have more problems." She's right though, I do. What it amounts to is the hiccups and bugs aren't too big of a deal to me, but LTS is much more stable. I would say anything that is not an LTS is beta, and I'm excited for April next year (I think 14.04 is going to be awesome).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

that is my take too!
    i am using 12.04 and 13.04 on my machine and i can say that 13.04 has a flavor of a testing release. but dont get me wrong, i think it is normal.
    dell inspiron 1521, AMD Turion, ATI mobility radeon x1270.

Beans

Same with me tried 12.10 and was full of bugs, for example I couldn't use startup-disk creator, and some other programs, with 13.04 I'm having issues with XBMC, Netflix-Desktop, I definetely CANT format a USB in the GUI interface, Im also returning to 12.04 right now, been using 13.04 for 1 month I think i will follow the advice of only upgrading to LTS hope Ubuntu fixes this things,

wich other Debian-Based Linux Distro could be an alternative? since I am very used to debian

tx in advance

Beans

Meh; long-time forum members are used to a flood of "OMG, worst release ever!!" posts every 6 months. Fortunately, Ubuntu is available as a "Live DVD" (or USB) so you can take it for a test drive before installing. Would have saved you a lot of aggravation.

Beans

I find 13.04 to be a big improvement over 12.10 in terms of stability (haven't had as many crashes as Linux Mint 14 which was based off 12.10) however if you are on 12.04 I wouldn't upgrade since there aren't many new features and it is still a test bed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In a few months time we will see posts like "13.10 is the worst Ubuntu ever, why did they change things, 13.04 was the best!". Six months after that, the version number will change.

Even 6.06, which had an extra six weeks of Polish, got the same kinds of rants.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast