Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 Vs 13.04

Beans

12.04 Vs 13.04

I have been happily using 12.04 since it became stable and had the support. It runs in a dual boot system besides Windows 7 (sorry for swearing) I only use Windows to be compatable with the work computer. I recently upgraded to 13.04 and looked forward to using this with some excitement, that was soon blown away in a spectacular way. This is not the nice clean Ubuntu I am used to, this to me has bloatware instantly installed, and I experienced problems from the very beginning. I like my privacy so no Facebook for me, I used Twitter occasionally with a different name and I use Blogger under another name, that is the limit of my social networking, I have tried it but some of the stupid posts I got alerts for soon put me off besides Facebook got to be horrible with that CEO making changes to just make money.

Anyway I have moved away from the subject somewhat. I love Tor Browser to give me that extra privacy, but after 5 hours of trying and searching on the net it would not load correctly. I also noticed that codecs seemed to be missing so I had to search them out to get certain items to play. I started the install at 6.45am (UK time), but by 4.45pm I had had enough. I know you can turn off suggestions made by Amazon, by why is it there in the first place? The Ubuntu music store should be an optional option to load, again it should not just be there. So at 4.45pm out came my 12.04 disk and I wiped 13.04 from my system. 24 hours later I have to say one the best decisions I have made.

I have loved Ubuntu from its concept and faithfully followed it, but 13.04, in my humble opinion, is the biggest piece of doggy do that I have installed on my computer for a very long time. I can only report what I find honestly and the fact that I reverted to 12.04 in 10 hours should speak volumes. I had all day to try it as I am currently off sick having thrown my back out badly, so this wasn't a quick look and delve into 13.04, but a full blown 10 hours. This time the developers have got it sooooo wrong, in fact I was so disappointed that I started to look at other versions of Linux available before reverting back to 12.04.

My personal advice is avoid this release as if its the plague and hope that the developers regain their commonsense and get their brains back in action and produce something worthy of replacing 12.04.

Beans

Re: 12.04 Vs 13.04

I also had siomilar experiance.... with 13.10 ...i thik i should control my eagerness to try out new first.

Beans

Just a quick update, everything works as it should in 12.04, all the problems I had in 13.04 have magically gone away and everything is hunky dory. I feel so sad that 13.04 is such a poor release and my faith in Ubuntu has been severely knocked, I feel sure that I am not alone, I have read many reviews online (which I should have done first!) which all say this is not a good release. To me this has done Ubuntu some serious damage, it reminds me of Vista for Windows, remember that piece of crap?

The Ubuntu deveopment team need to read the reviews of users and act on them swiftly. I am not sure a release every 6 months is still a good option, it was in the begining, but now this should be looked at with some insight and detail and get away from using Amazon (must be for money) as this is not what many Linux users want, we want a clean fast efficient system, nothing more or less.

BlinkinCat is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Hi,

Just to add, I had a similar story to you with 12.04 however it was with xfce, not ubuntu.

Since a fresh install to 13.04 3 days ago, I have had absolutely no problems and couldn't be happier. -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

if you have doubts about which version to choose - standard or LTS - then the following link may be somehow useful for making your decision:
    https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...roject/version

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alan9800 View Post
    if you have doubts about which version to choose - standard or LTS - then the following link may be somehow useful for making your decision:
    https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...roject/version
    Hi Alan, thank you so much, I wish I knew of this link ages ago, I immediately read the article and it all made sense, for me to return to 12.04 was the right option, in fact really the only option. I shall now always wait for the LTS version to appear before installing, it will save me a lot of time and worry as I thought I was doing the right thing by going with 13.04. It also shows no matter how hard you research not all the correct information is immediately available to be able to make the right choice.

So thank you again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Dave231153 View Post
    I shall now always wait for the LTS version to appear before installing
    regarding to this, pay attention to never use the upgrade button; see here:
    https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...pgrade-button-

Beans

Thanks again Alan very helpful, I have saved the bookmarks and will print off hard copies (just in case).

Beans

To be honest, I have heard of the adds, the Amazon Recommendations, and the rest...

... I will never install this sold out piece of commercial softwareware.

The very fact that a version of LINUX has a PRIVACY MENU so you can turn down it tendency to SPY ON YOU?

WTF were they thinking?

Fedora, here I come.
    Last edited by lisati; May 25th, 2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Language

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This appears to be more of an informal discussion than a support request.
    Thread moved to The Cafe.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast